No screen on Acer Aspire 5920G laptop

Frederik_123

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Hello,

I have a problem with my Acer Aspire 5920G laptop.
Recently, the laptop crashed during a program, where sound and image stuck (blurred image with colors). The only way to put my laptop off was to press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

If I wanted to boot again,the light in the power button go and keeps on, i hear fans running and the control lights blink in the beginning sometimes.
But the screen stays black and dark. Nothing to see, no backlight, no flashes, no-acer startup screen, no blinking cursor ...
When I press the power button now one time, the laptop is immediately turned off (so i think Windows does not start up).

If I try to boot with an Ubuntu live CD, i hear the CD-ROM drive turning, and the laptop seems to end up somewhere in a menu, but the screen does nothing.
When I press the power button now one time, the laptop keeps running. To turn off i have to press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

I tried to boot with an external screen (once with a VGA connection, once with an HDMI connection), but this makes no difference.

I have disconnected power and battery and pressed and holded the power button for 45 seconds (to reset bios). It does not matter.

I have changed the RAM from position (the other slot). It makes no difference.

The screen shows nothing (at any time), not even a backlight.

Does anyone know a possible cause of this?
- Is the screen broken?
- Is the graphics card broken?
- Is this another known issue?

What can I do to detect and solve (eventually) this problem, without sending it directly to the Acer repair service.
Maybe some simple checks of a checklist in order to exclude somethings.

Frederik_123

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Yesterday i removed the graphics card, and booted.
Result: after 5 sec backlight of screen lighted up and stayed on. Nothing else happened. So i have only a gray screen.

If only the graphics card is broken, is it normal that windows don't start up? I was thinking it should.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
If you removed the graphics card, the screen itself will have no data source, so it will only turn on the back-lighting without actually displaying any image.
Without the graphics card, the BIOS will stop loading, therefore it will not get to loading the OS.
Anyways, looks like the graphics card needs to be replaced.

salman_46

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012