No signal for HDMI 1? Samsung led smart T.V

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U_TouchedMyFries

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
I have tried to look up ways to troubleshoot the problem i have been having but have had no success. Every time i turn on the T.V, cable box, and receiver, it displays that it has no signal on HDMI 1. What could i do about this? if you need anymore info i will be happy to give it to you.

petergator

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015

petergator

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015
Please let us know the result if you get it serviced locally. I delayed hoping for a fix, but it may be better for one of us to see if a local HW tech can provide a fix.

briar14

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
Purchased The Samsung UN40J3600 Saturday 11/28 My initial setup loaded software v-1430. Set frequently shuts down and instantly restarts at random intervals? The selected channel instantly resumes following the usual start up icons/Smart Hub display. This condition appears to be of a different nature than the majority of the conditions experienced by other members? This morning I noticed that software v-1421 was installed? Tv still shuts off/on randomly. I am confused if this issue fits in with the software glitch or is this a none related condition?

DanV_19

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
Same problem here, with my 60j6300. Started Wed. night 11/25. Coincidentally, it started happening right after connecting an Xbox One to the TV for the first time.

At first, I thought that was causing the conflict, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'll sit and wait along with everyone else!

tonykmag77

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
Yup. Same here UN40J6300. Worked perfectly till the Wed night/Thu morning 11/25 update and then HDMI issue! (unplug/ plug from ac works as annoying workaround. at least that's something)

!asted 2 hrs on phone on Thanksgiving. Reset, remote access, no change, yada yada. Asked for Supervisor, who told me in 2 minutes it was a known bug in the firmware 11/25 & they are working to create a patch. He was actually nice. I told him to tell the fron tline phone reps this so as not to waste everyone's time. He actually agreed and apologized. Cold comfort. He gave an eta of Mon 11/30. We'll see

Anyone seen a patch yet?

Oh, did an online chat yesterday Sat 11/27 to check on patch. Gave the rep my service case # and indeed he admitted right away that it was a known firmware update bug and a patch is needed. no ETA from him.

No excuse for this at all. someone needs to be fired for this.

Good luck to all. Let's keep on them!

DonRB1

Estimable
Nov 27, 2015

Thanks very much for that update!
At least it sounds like some Samsung higher ups know of the firmware bug.
Hoping the estimate of a fixed software update in the next few days turns out to be true...

I think after a fixed update comes out I might turn off the automatic software update feature on the TV and wait after a new update comes out a few weeks to see if there are any bug reports.
It would be easier if Samsung allowed uploading an earlier firmware version in cases like this since the samsung support website has a previous version from Oct 2015 there.

DRSoccer5

Estimable
Nov 30, 2015
Same problems as everyone else and I more or less forced the tech I talked to into admitting that it was their fault.

I've noticed two additional problems I was wondering if anyone else was having. After doing the factory reset (through the service menu), I can't download the terms and conditions for the Smart Hub, so that won't work at all despite being connected to the internet. It tells me my connection is unstable.

The second problem, which really has me annoyed, is that the picture is now so bad that it's almost unwatchable. Everything seems to be purple. Blacks are black, and whites are white, but anything in between, especially grays, has this purple hue to it. I never played with the settings too much prior to resetting it, but this is awful and I'm having a hard time adjusting the settings to get something even remotely watchable.

Erichostile

Estimable
Nov 30, 2015

Confirmed by calling Samsung that the Thanksgiving update hosed the ports. They told me today the patch will be released in 24-48 hours. Once it stablizes, I am disabling that crap. Also when my tv updated and it restarted my volume was maxed. What sucks is I was gone when it updated so it sat there like that for hours. Again will be disabling that auto update.

berserkpi

Estimable
Nov 30, 2015

I noticed this issue 2 days ago.

Something very interesting is that my TWC box and PC don't work, but my Roku 3 does...

The "Disconnect power cord for 10 minutes" reset, worked for me.

Turning the tv off messes the hdmi ports up again.

The firmware version on my TV is also 1430.

tonykmag77

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

Thanks for the update. Let's keep on them till this is fixed! I'll call again tomorrow (Tue) if there's still no patch.

tonykmag77

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
Mon 11/30 Just got an email from Samsung in response. Here it is:

Thank you for contacting Samsung. I understand that you are experiencing an issue with the HDMI after updating the firmware. The issue you are experiencing with your TV is due to software issue and Samsung will be providing an Over The Air Software update which would be updated automatically on your TV and will resolve the issue in the next 24 to 48 hours. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience while we are working on it.

kmcdaniel1969

Estimable
Nov 27, 2015

Well, I hope they follow through. They told me (On Saturday) that it would be 24-40 hours. As I posted earlier, nothing yet... We shall see...

I had a very bad experience with Samsung over their data migration software for their SSD's... I bought one of their SSD's and the data migration wasn't compatible with Windows 10. They kept telling me, "By the end of the month".... Finally, after 2 months, they responded to me again and said I should use a third party vendor because they were not sure when the patch would come out now. So I found another vendor.. Glad I did, because it took them 3 months to get the patch out.

rawrkaribear

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015
So I have the Samsung J6200 and I'm having the same HDMI issues everyone else is having. I just received my TV this last Friday and haven't been able to connect my Xbox to it at all. I've tried unplugging the TV and plugging it back in and it still doesn't recognize that the HDMI is connected. Is there a particular trick to this? Am I supposed to plug the HDMI in after the TV is turned on, leave it plugged in, etc.? I can't even manage to work around the issue and it's really frustrating. :\

DanV_19

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
Not 100% certain, as I've bounced around many things, and the xbox is the kids domain...

I normally start w/ cable working... then switch to the HDMI port that the xbox is on. I believe it comes up "no signal"... unplug / re-plug, and it should come up on the HDMI port you were tuned to last.

To get back to tv... switch HDMI.. unplug/replug and should be back.

Not a hassle at all, amiright?

tonykmag77

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

If you can plug the Xbox into the component/audio port you should be ok. The bug only hit the hdmi ports. (the 1080hd picture is not as good in component, but i don't know if it matters with xbox)

The workaround for the HDMI that's working for me & others is as follows:

-make sure source is plugged into hdmi port, note port #. leave it plugged in.
-turn on both tv and source from remote
-leave source on
-turn off only the tv from remote
-unplug only the tv from ac for a few seconds
-replug tv to ac
-turn on tv from remote
-make sure to choose correct hdmi port and you should be good to go
-until next time you turn the tv off, then process begins again

Good luck!

SamsungSam

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015
I am also a victim of the Thanksgiving night massacre. Turned off the TV to enjoy a turkey dinner and lost access to NFL football while Samsung's tech support was closed for the holiday. For those who are still suffering, I may have some good news. I just got off the phone with Samsung Tech Support. Samsung has a firmware update available on its website. It was posted today. My TV did not automatically download the update even though I have automatic update selected. The update can be accessed on Samsung's website by searching on your TV model number and then clicking on Manuals and Downloads. In my case the number is version 1431.0. The file is a zip file (1198.05 MB). It needs to be downloaded to a flash drive and then installed via USB. Samsung is sending me a flash drive with the file and instructions via UPS. According to the rep it "should" solve the problem. I'm going to wait for the Samsung flash drive. Would be interested if anyone else successfully downloads the software and succeeds in fixing the problem.

DonRB1

Estimable
Nov 27, 2015
I also just found and downloaded the new 1431 firmware listed and liked at the Samsung support page for the J6300 HDTV model:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN40J6300AFXZA

I unzipped the ~1.2GB file to the root directory of a USB flash drive and used that to update my 40J6300 TV.

It worked!
I can now repeatedly power off and on the TV with the remote and the HDMI ports still work after!

Its not yet available via the internet auto update, but if you want it right away you can download from the website and unzip/copy to a USB drive with >1.2GB of free space to update now.

kmcdaniel1969

Estimable
Nov 27, 2015

Thanks for the info. I will look into it tomorrow.

tonykmag77

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

I would be VERY WARY of manually uupdating this way! Make sure that your tv is the EXACT model for the 1431 update. I have a UN40j6300 which is an exclusive model to Best Buy. Turns out that model is not listed on the Samsung web site.

A couple of months ago I had a completely unrelated problem (that Directv actually solved) and was going to go the usb update route as you describe. Luckily they never did send the thumb drive b/c, according to a Samsung tech supervisor, since my model is not listed on the website, the website updates could, quote "brick" my tv, and they would take no responsibility for it. He said only the over air updates through the tv menu are guaranteed.

Well we know how that's worked out.

Also, if you see my earlier post today, a Samsung rep said the 1431 update does NOT solve this problem. hmmmm

I like your "Thanksgiving massacre" name for this debacle.

Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.