No signal to external monitor?

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Alright, i have a laptop that has a broken screen. I tried turning it on and hooking it up to a monitor but i get no signal going to the monitor. I don't know if i need to reset the BIOS or if it is another problem entirely.

If someone can give some detailed instructions to get it working without being able to see that would be awesome.

Running intel celeron integrated graphics.

jjhuang42

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
there should be a function key to switch the display modes - cycle through them until you get a signal to the external monitor. Usually is laptop monitor only, both laptop and external monitors, and then external monitor only.

jjhuang42

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
it should work once you're past boot up; you don't need to be logged in. have you looked in your BIOS for a display setting? it may have the external monitor option turned off.

what is your laptop make and model? may have to reset your BIOS.

btw, just to check - your external monitor is on and you've checked for bent pins in the video cable?

jjhuang42

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi, I need to know the specific make and model of the laptop in order to determine how to reset your BIOS.

one way is to remove the battery, unplug the adapter, and press the power button for X seconds. other way is to open up the laptop case to find a CMOS reset switch. another is to remove the CMOS battery, if it exists on this particular laptop. it really depends on the manufacturer.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Here's what hp is saying :

Figure 7: Blank screen

A quick test for a defective display is to connect the computer to an external monitor with a VGA connector cable, connect the AC power to both the notebook and the monitor, and then press the power buttons on the computer and monitor.
If an image can display on the external monitor but not on the notebook display, you should download and install the latest BIOS, and the latest graphics driver, and the latest CPU chipset. If there is still no display, there is a physical problem and you will need to contact HP for repair service.
If there is no image on either the internal or external displays and the computer does not start properly, This is a startup problem, not a display problem. See HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot .

So in your case, the mobo/GPU must be damaged since your not getting anything on the extarnal.

source http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01881110&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_us/c01881110/loc:8&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=2100&product=4164692&sw_lang=#N636

jjhuang42

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Okay, for HP laptops, try this:
1. disconnect the power adapter and remove the battery
2. press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds
3. connect the power adapter - do not install the battery!
4. press the power button

this completes a hard reset of your laptop and you should now get something on your external display.

jjhuang42

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

yeah, that would've been my final response if the hard reset didn't work. call me optimistic...

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
the 15 second hard reset didn't work either.

I want to say the graphics aren't broken because it was still showing up until a few days ago when it stopped sending a signal to the screen. I haven't torn anything on the mobo apart so it should be fine :p

AntiZig

Distinguished
what was showing up? if your screen isn't work it's not working... if you have something showing up then the screen is fine, no?

"you haven't torn anything on the mobo", what makes you say that, did you open the thing up to replace some hardware?

Mar 30, 2018
Donk know but could be to late

If the laptop in person you are talking about is the HP G6
Found out that the laptop does a hardware check when on start up so you need the LCD connector pluged in to the board to be able for the computer to boot into windows and get a signal on a external display