No sound coming from my home theatre system

DChan88

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015
Hi all,

I recently renovated the house and upon finishing the reno's I plugged everything back into my home theatre system but could not for the life of me get sound to come out of home theatre system.

Basically all I have hooked up right now is an optical cable from the TV to the receiver "DVD" slot.

So then of course I tune in the receiver to the DVD Slot but am not able to get any sound...

I checked the TV but there's no like optical source or something from sound and the receiver is set at AUTO and even if I played around with the other settings still no sound.

I checked the optical wire on another source and it works fine.

What am i doing wrong?

Receiver = Yamaha HTR-6160
TV = Pioneer 5020FD
Thanks

Make sure that the optical output is turned on in the TV menu. Sometimes the TV speakers have to be turned off.
Make sure that the optical connection you used is assigned to the DVD input in the receiver input set up menu.
These settings can be lost when the gear is unplugged for a while as it probably has been during your renovation.
Do you get sound from the tuner or any other source connected to the receiver?

DChan88

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015

Thank you for your reply.

Yup there's sound if I put it on Tuner.

I don't think I had to change any setting before when I used optical but nonetheless I changed the receiver input to optical and still nothing. Its currently set at auto. Is there something else I can check? Like do a sound check or something? lol not entirely sure

Thanks

DChan88

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015
So I kinda figured it out?

If I plug in the optical cable from the TV to Receiver it does not work

If I plug it in from the cable box to the receiver then it works?

DChan88

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015
bump

Does anyone know why it doesn't work if I directly plug in the optical to the tv and then to receiver.

When I do that and try to change the sound on the menu in the TV it's greyed out

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS