No sound for video

SheldonCohen

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
connected my laptop via hdmi to my Epson ex7200 but cannot figure out how to get sound. would love to hook projector to speakers but I think the projector needs to be connected to something else and then the speakers to that something else. any advice? what I want to do is take my projector to a party to show a video.

Solution

You don't need an amp, just powered speakers. You can even use a decent bluetooth wireless set and run it on batteries to save having power wires all over the place, this...
That projector has a speaker (only 1w mono so would be pretty weak), but it should still have some audio. Is the audio output on the laptop set to HDMI? Is the volume up on the projector? You may be better off using a separate powered speakers off the laptop and just use the projector for video. A 1 watt speaker is not good enough to use for a party.

SheldonCohen

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016

SheldonCohen

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Thanks for your assistance. I was able to figure out that on my laptop I had set the default to HDMI. When I changed the default to Speakers, then I was able to plug the speakers into the headset output on the laptop and got sound. You are correct though about not being good enough. So I have decided to get a very small amplifier, and hook up the speakers from the Projector to the Amp and then to the speakers. Waiting on the equipment to come in. Also decided for better results to use a good dvd player for the video instead of the laptop. Thanks again. Sheldon

You don't need an amp, just powered speakers. You can even use a decent bluetooth wireless set and run it on batteries to save having power wires all over the place, this is a good set for about $100 for filling a room with sound https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ZDDSPY/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=basheaspe02-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B016ZDDSPY&linkId=81e3082b6aa96c9ac806b613e3aa73b7. This is cheaper but people have reported back-ground hum and as good overall sound quality https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0107WH8Q4/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0107WH8Q4&linkCode=as2&tag=basheaspe02-20&linkId=MIB4TS233BAJSUGM A DVD player won't get you any better video than the laptop DVD player.

Solution

SheldonCohen

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016