No Sound From Spdif-out Creative Sound Blaster Z and Logitech Z906

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

namiyakawinter

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
Im having trouble setting up my Logitech Z906 with my Creative Sound Blaster Z and
installing Dolby Digital Live.

1) using analog cables im able to get proper 5.1 surround sound.
2) However i want to use my fiber optic cable for some reason every time i set:

"SPDIF-OUT
Sound Blaster Z" As my default device there is absolutely no sound from anything BUT
the Creative Sound Blaster Pro Studio. I run the test in the studio and all the speakers check out.
But i cant get any sound from Anything else games youtube or anything else which includes the windows test for sound. I do not have it muted on Mixer either. I can see that the "spdif-out" is getting signals because the bar is moving when im playing something on youtube.

My connection: Fiber Optic is connected to Optical OUT on the Z, I've changed my Input to correct Optical input on the Z906.

PROBLEM NUMBER 2: Dolby Digital Live from Creative

For some reason everytime i try to install Dolby Digital Live it tells me that it can not detect supported device. When on the website it CLEARLY states that the Creative Sound Blaster Z
is a supported sound card for the Dolby Digital Live Program. i got the setup from a friend but i dont think that has an effect on it.

System:

OS - Windows 8.1
Mobo: Gibabyte G.1 Sniper 5
CPU: Intel i5 4690K
GPU: Evga 760
SOundCard: Creative Sound Blaster Z

Someone Help please this is giving me a massive headache.

Tyler513

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015
I had this issue but was able to resolve in a few minutes. I downloaded Creatives new driver, installed, restarted. Had to locate the sound blaster z audio control panel manually (for some reason it wasn't in the program list). Once i got to the creative control panel i selected "cinematic" then clicked on DTS. Everything is working good now.

sup3rfly72

Estimable
Nov 27, 2015
THE FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME:

Unplug all outputs and inputs.

Plug only the Optical in.

Open Sound > Manage audio devices.

Set SPDIF - Out as Default.

Set Digital Output (optical) as Communications Device.

Only Properties on SPDIF are testable (Communications Device does not respond but system should work)

sFellah

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Hello Guys. I had trouble with heering anything when i encoded the sound via cinematic (DD/DTS) with the Sound Blaster Z card. The sound wouldn't output anything. My soulutions to this was to enable "What U Hear" in the recording area.
In the properties of What U Hear. Select the SPDIF as the output.

I dont know why this would solve the DTS/DD output, but it did.
My setup:
Windows 10 x64
z906 5.1
Sound Blaster Z.

Realist9

Estimable
May 31, 2014

Thanks for posting this. Everything was working fine for me with 5.1 via optical to my stereo. I decided to record some videos and wanted to get my mic working. So, I was playing around with my mic settings in the CBZ software so that I could get the mic to record loud enough. At some point, I realized no sound was coming from my speakers.

This set me on a 2 day epic internet quest to find out wth went wrong. I didn't change any of the output/speaker settings, so why did it suddenly stop working?? The ans was your post, in that turning off 'what you hear' in the RECORDING section somehow disables optical out. WTF?

Now I have to get back to trying to get my mic working loud enough...

Karthikeyan_R

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016

Karthikeyan_R

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
Thanks a lot. I followed your instructions and finally configured by Soundblaster Omni 5.1 with TOSlink cable to my Logitech Z5500. :D