No Sound from Speakers and Headphones on Toshiba Satellite C55-A

gardneat

Estimable
Jan 10, 2016
I replaced the keyboard on my Toshiba Satellite C55-A and when I restarted my computer I had no audio. I get no sound from the speakers or the headset. I reinstalled the drivers and did a system restore but neither worked. The Diagnostic reports that the everything is working, and the green sound level bar in the speaker tab looks normal during playback. I'm just not getting any sound.

I am running Windows 8.1 with a Realtek High Definition Audio Driver.

Is there any reason the think a factory restore install would fix it? Is it possible that this is a hardware problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

The only way to find out if it's really a hardware problem would be to run a complete factory reset first. But do consider trying some of these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Do try to uninstall/reinstall the sound driver again but this time download and install the latest sound driver from Toshiba's Support site.
- Next is to make sure to select the default Playback Device.
- Make sure that the sound level is all the way up to 100%.
- And lastly do a complete factory reset and if that will not solve the problem then it's the sound card that was damaged.

gardneat

Estimable
Jan 10, 2016

I just did a factory restore and I still have no sound, so I'm guessing that it must be a hardware problem. I opened it up and didn't see anything that looked disconnected, but, honestly, I don't know what I'm looking for. Do you know of a tutorial that would show me where the audio cable connects to the motherboard?

gardneat

Estimable
Jan 10, 2016
I disconnected and reconnected the speakers to the motherboard and still have no sound. I'm thinking that the issue must be with the built in sound card, which would explain why I'm not getting sound from the headphones either. If that is the case, is there any fix or am I just SOL?

Thanks for the help guys.

gardneat

Estimable
Jan 10, 2016
As a final means of verifying that I am indeed having a hardware and not a software problem, I connected my laptop to a TV with an HDMI cable. Assuming that my built in sound card is to blame and not my software, I should still be able to get sound through the TV. And, indeed, I was correct.

I thought others may want to use this method of verification before disassembling their laptops if they suspect they're having a having a hardware issue.

Per the suggestion of ffg7, I ordered a USB soundcard. Great deal on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRVQ0F8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Thanks again for the help resolving this issue. I received zero response from the Toshiba forums.