no sound from TV with HDMI cable installed

dummy67

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
I have looked through a myriad of posts for getting a fix for this seemingly common problem. I do not see the areas to modify listed on my control panel screens. I read about disable laptop speakers and enable TV speakers. I read about enabling HDMI audio through TV settings. etc etc.

I do not see anything but the laptop listed in my devices from Control Panel>Sound>Playback. I might be able to change to TV if I could see/list it in the optional devices.

I am running Windows 10 and saw something about "Automatic Updates" feature that may need to be turned off so a newer driver does not overwrite the workaround (once I can get the audio working).

Thanks in advance from a tech-challenged person.

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by uninstalling/reinstalling the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to the graphics card.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver from the manufacturers site of the GPU.
Nvidia: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Reboot the laptop once the driver has been installed.
- After the reboot make sure to set your TV as the default Playback Device.
- Right click on the speaker icon on the bottom right hand corner and select Playback Devices.
- If you see your TV listed or anything that will say HDMI, right click on it and select Set Defaults.
- Click Apply and OK then test it again.

dummy67

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

dummy67

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
laptop nerd<

Thanks for your response. My name on this forum is more than appropriate . . . . Dummy67.

I can uninstall no problem . . . . . reinstalling is a bit of a challenge. Uninstalling anything related to a graphics card is more than daunting. I know that there are lots of programs and pieces and files that are intertwined and not all graphics programs/drivers/pieces/files are clearly labeled for my very limited knowledge of what I see on my screen. I am more than reluctant to go deleting files. I am not familiar with the anacronym GPU. Nividia is not familiar either. AMD I have at least heard of, but that is the extent of my tech knowledge (limited).

Thanks for your suggestions to solve the problem, but it is MUCH MORE complicated than I wish to undertake at this time. Seems like the effort to re-construct the laptop back to its current status should your suggestions not come to fruition would be more aggravating than just living with sound only from the laptop speakers and not from the TV speakers.