no sound through my surround sound?

kaybean

Estimable
Mar 8, 2014
hey guys!

just wanted to see if any of you could help me out! maybe its because im a woman and being blonde but i cant get my speakers to work... :pfff:

ill explain as much as i can... im watching dvds through my laptop and got a hdmi running through to the tv... screen works fine and the tv speakers... but as iv connected another hdmi from my home theatre to the hdmi 2 on the tv and also the sound wire from the theatre to the tv the surround sound dont work? what am i doing wrong?

thank you. x

what television? brand + model

what home theater system? brand + model

what laptop? brand + model

----

you are getting sound through your television speakers because the sound and audio signal is going from laptop to tv.

however... the imporant thing to figure out is if your tv is capable of exporting sound. this is why we need to know what products you are trying to connect. in any case you wouldnt be connecting both a hdmi and a "sound cable" (would you happen to be referring to an spdif optical cable [sometimes called a toslink cable] or perhaps a spdif coax cable? use google images for examples of those)

it sounds like you are just connected up to the inputs on the tv (not outputs) but again unless you give model numbers its hard to be of much help.

Edit:

if your home theater system has a "hdmi input" which isnt being used AND has a "hdmi output" which connects to your tv then i would try connecting up to your home theater in this manner. unless you have a very cheap set (or old set) it should support this.

Laptop HDMI Output --> Home Theater System HDMI Input
--and--
Home Theater System HDMI Output --> HDTV HDMI Input

This is how your system should be connected, assuming all ports are available. As SSDDX states, we need actual model numbers of your components to determine how things can be connected.

-Wolf sends