Apr 18, 2018
I have an RCA TV(RLED4843-B-UHD) with optical wire going into my eoteck DAC and 2 speakers (red and white plugs) plugged into the DAC but no sound comes out of the speakers. (audio on TV is set to PCM) I was told the DAC would provide power to them but if they are not working is the issue they need to be separately powered with an amp or is something else wrong?

All I want to do is have my RCA plug speakers hooked up to my TV with the ability to turn the volume up or down with a remote. Right now I just have a set of computers speaker in the 3.5mm spot but cant adjust volume with anything but the volume knob. I'm pretty new at this as I use to be in a small quiet room so the built in speakers were plenty of sound so any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
MERGED QUESTION
Question from gibsonian : "DAC no sound output"

If the PC speakers are connected to the DAC's 1/8" jack at least you know the DAC itself is working.

The RCA output on the DAC are line-level, so if you connected the speakers to it they have to be amplified and any volume adjustment would have to be done on the speakers amp. What kind of speakers are connected to it?

A good test of the RCA output would be to connect to another input like an AV amp, or if you have an 1/8" to RCA adapter connect it up to a PC/laptop line-in and see if you can record or monitor the input.

Apr 18, 2018
Hey thanks for the reply

The PC speakers were using the 3.5mm headphone port on the TV before but now are using the one on the DAC to confirm is works and it works fine. People were telling me I could just plug in computer speakers to a TV for a cheap sound system but as my TV is on the cheaper side for an RCA TV I don't think it has any extras that might make that possible. (the sound menu setting literally as 3 options lol)

So it seems my only options are buying an amp or a soundbar and each of will have its own volume control. A sound bar might be the best option as they are pretty straight forward right? plug optical in set to PCM and and good to go?

MERGED QUESTION
Question from gibsonian : "DAC no sound output"

That does not look like it has an amp to power speakers, from the stuff that comes up in Amazon it's just an optical to analog audio converter. You need to hook that up to an amp input, then the speakers would go to the amp.

Solution
Apr 18, 2018
I'm starting to realize this :( I might just have to buy a soundbar and assume the DAC I got was the wrong purchase for my issue. I assumed optical audio output would change volume with the TV changing volume.