No Surround with New Computer

chd1287

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
I recently built a new HTPC. It's an AMD based system with built-in sound and graphics running windows 7. I'm running it into an Onkyo HT-RC160 (7.1) receiver then to my samsung tv. I have the receiver set to "direct" which means PCM and multichannel. When I go into manage audio devices in windows, click to configure the receiver, set it to 7.1, and then cliick on each of the 8 speakers, it plays each one separately. So I know everything is communicating properly. However, I can not get the surround sound to work with anything else. Not with VLC, windows media player, not even with the surround sound tests on youtube through chrome, Does anyone have any ideas?

Solution
put a dvd disk into your computer. play the movie with windows media player.

do you get sound out the rears?

if you have video games (first person shooters, rpg games... ones with surround sound) try them.

do you get sound out the rears? by rears i mean the rears you would hear sound from with a 5.1 set, not the extra two speakers a 7.1 set provides.

most windows sounds, streamed video (including youtube), most music, some games and some movies are stereo sound. are you absolutely sure the source is in surround sound?

there isnt as much content available for 7.1 as there is for 5.1 surround. if your issue is with the extra speakers 7.1 provides then double check your source to make sure it has 7.1 surround. you can try finding a...
I assume you're using an optical output from the PC to receiver? Don't use optical. Use HDMI/analog if possible for true discreet surround.

Also depending on your motherboard and if it uses for example a realtek audio chip: you need to configure that also.

Be seeing you , the Prisoner...

chd1287

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
I'm using HDMI from PC->receiver->TV.
My motherboard (GA-F2A88XM-D3H) does use realtek. I've downloaded the most recent driver. I can't find any settings in the "Realtek HD Audio Manager" that might affect the problem I'm having though.
It's weird because like I said. when I do the test through windows, it plays a separate tone from each of the 8 speakers. It's like there is some sort of setting or software disconnect between windows that I can't figure out.

put a dvd disk into your computer. play the movie with windows media player.

do you get sound out the rears?

if you have video games (first person shooters, rpg games... ones with surround sound) try them.

do you get sound out the rears? by rears i mean the rears you would hear sound from with a 5.1 set, not the extra two speakers a 7.1 set provides.

most windows sounds, streamed video (including youtube), most music, some games and some movies are stereo sound. are you absolutely sure the source is in surround sound?

there isnt as much content available for 7.1 as there is for 5.1 surround. if your issue is with the extra speakers 7.1 provides then double check your source to make sure it has 7.1 surround. you can try finding a movie with 7.1 dolby digital listed on the back and playing it in win media player.

Solution

chd1287

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
So it turns out that VLC was the main issue. Running most of my HD videos through WMP actually gives me surround sound. I wasn't too worried about the 7.1 so much as just getting surround sound. I understand most audio is just 5.1. Thanks for the help.