Question AV receiver not decoding HD audio from PC over HDMI connection

mickrick

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I have a pretty good spec PC (i7-7700K, 24GB ram, geforce GTX 750 ti graphics) which I have started using for playing HD and 4K video on my tv. I have a HDMI cable from my PC to my Onkyo TX-NR 686 receiver. The Windows 10 properties on my HDMI connection show that my PC is capable of streaming audio from mono right up to HD multichannel audio, Dolby True-HD, DTS-HD MA, Dolby Atmos etc, at up to 320khz. My receiver is capable of playing all sound formats. But when playing any video with HD audio, it is being decoded as plain Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 audio. This is the case with PowerDVD 20, VLC, MPC and Kodi 18. Playing the same videos on my Nvidia Shield, connected to the same receiver, HD audio is decoded.

The only reason I can think of for not streaming HD audio is that there is a HDCP issue, though neither the receiver or tv report that. Can anyone suggest wat the problem might be and any fixes?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Audio 2
S Audio 4
Indra Tjahja Audio 4
sjwilliamsjr Audio 3
A Audio 1
I Audio 1
F Audio 1
damluar Audio 2
D Audio 1
B Audio 3
M Audio 2
S Audio 0
amchenry Audio 1
A Audio 4
kryonas Audio 2
Bonesaw Audio 1
D Audio 0
MySmartTVBox Audio 2
NerevarReborn Audio 6
I Audio 3
Similar threads
Question Projectors w/ no Dolby support- using Receiver for audio
Solved! Use Old AV Receiver as Power Amp
Question Problem on Remote control of Yamaha receiver RX V 475
Question How to connect Yamaha receiver to powered amp with rca inputs
Question How to connect a Rockville EQ to a Yamaha RX-V567 Natural Sound AV Receiver/Amp with Polk Audio Surround speakers
Question PC Build Complete! Last problem is connecting 5.1 to my old A/V receiver and 4k TV.
Question Trying to figure out how to connect an equalizer to my A/V receiver.
Question Need help connecting a subwoofer to a receiver without sub output
Question What kind of receiver do I need?
Question I just received crusher skull candy wireless head phones, and would like to pair them to my vizio sound bar
Question Suggestions for modern speakers to pair with vintage Trio KR-8340 receiver
Question Are two speaker arrangements for 1 receiver possible?
Question Sub only active when receiver is turned off
Solved! Hooking up an active subwoofer to A/V receiver
Question Half channels from Anthem MRX 700 receiver at low volume. How to troubleshoot/fix?
Question What exactly are the advantages of using a home theater system with receiver over optical/speakers?
Question Connecting 2 Denon receivers for multi-room listening
Question My Pioneer Receiver VSX-831 does not turn on. Network/Wireless red led light blinks erratically
Best way to decode DD 5.1/ DTS without receiver?
IF I have a receiver with a decoder do I need a dvd player w

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS