Nokia 3100

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Does anyone have the Nokia 3100 and if so, what do you think of it? I have
a Nokia 5190 (yes, its ancient but despite it's mass, I like it ) however I
want to enter the new millennium and buy a new phone.

Any recommendations for a quality phone on the low cost end? It doesn't
need a lot of fancy features. I just want to switch my SIM card to the new
pone (ie no contract).
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Neither the 3100 nor 5100 has a built-in camera as far as I can tell.

Recommendations depend on what you're looking for. If you need a
small, somewhat modern triband phone on the cheap, the panasonic gd-55
is going for cheap if you search around froogle or yahoo shopping. If
you're looking for a colour phone with a camera, then the v300 seems
like a decent deal. It all depends on what you want (need more
details than a newer model quality phone).

Jit Sandstrom <cool@can.ca> wrote in message news:<9mAHc.1027$_hf.95@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> Does anyone have the Nokia 3100 and if so, what do you think of it? I have
> a Nokia 5190 (yes, its ancient but despite it's mass, I like it ) however I
> want to enter the new millennium and buy a new phone.
>
> Any recommendations for a quality phone on the low cost end? It doesn't
> need a lot of fancy features. I just want to switch my SIM card to the new
> pone (ie no contract).
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Thanks for your help! Basically I'd just like a small triband phone with
decent battery life. I don't need a camera or internet capabilities or
anything like that - just the basics. The 5190 is perfect except for the
fact that it's so BIG and it's not triband. I'll check out the gd-55!
Thanks again.


> Neither the 3100 nor 5100 has a built-in camera as far as I can tell.
>
> Recommendations depend on what you're looking for. If you need a
> small, somewhat modern triband phone on the cheap, the panasonic gd-55
> is going for cheap if you search around froogle or yahoo shopping. If
> you're looking for a colour phone with a camera, then the v300 seems
> like a decent deal. It all depends on what you want (need more
> details than a newer model quality phone).
>
> Jit Sandstrom <cool@can.ca> wrote in message
> news:<9mAHc.1027$_hf.95@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
>> Does anyone have the Nokia 3100 and if so, what do you think of it? I
>> have a Nokia 5190 (yes, its ancient but despite it's mass, I like it
>> ) however I want to enter the new millennium and buy a new phone.
>>
>> Any recommendations for a quality phone on the low cost end? It
>> doesn't need a lot of fancy features. I just want to switch my SIM
>> card to the new pone (ie no contract).
>
 

obs

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
11
0
18,560
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I prefer to stick with Nokias since there usually
is an easy + free way of unlocking them. Since
you are interested in a tri-band, I take it that
you would use your phone outside of Canada/US.
You may also benefit from an unlocked phone. It
is something to consider.



> Thanks for your help! Basically I'd just like a small triband phone with
> decent battery life. I don't need a camera or internet capabilities or
> anything like that - just the basics. The 5190 is perfect except for the
> fact that it's so BIG and it's not triband. I'll check out the gd-55!
> Thanks again.
>
>
> > Neither the 3100 nor 5100 has a built-in camera as far as I can tell.
> >
> > Recommendations depend on what you're looking for. If you need a
> > small, somewhat modern triband phone on the cheap, the panasonic gd-55
> > is going for cheap if you search around froogle or yahoo shopping. If
> > you're looking for a colour phone with a camera, then the v300 seems
> > like a decent deal. It all depends on what you want (need more
> > details than a newer model quality phone).
> >
> > Jit Sandstrom <cool@can.ca> wrote in message
> > news:<9mAHc.1027$_hf.95@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> >> Does anyone have the Nokia 3100 and if so, what do you think of it? I
> >> have a Nokia 5190 (yes, its ancient but despite it's mass, I like it
> >> ) however I want to enter the new millennium and buy a new phone.
> >>
> >> Any recommendations for a quality phone on the low cost end? It
> >> doesn't need a lot of fancy features. I just want to switch my SIM
> >> card to the new pone (ie no contract).
> >
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Any place that unlocks phones usually can unlock any model from
Motorola, Nokia and Ericcson. There is no 'free' unlocking - at best
you need to buy a data cable, which costs more than taking it down to
the local asian cell shop and getting it unlocked.

Most of the phones that you can buy from webshops without having to
sign a contract with an american service provider are already unlocked
anyhow (the example of the GD-55 for example), so this is not an
issue.

I've not been a big fan of Nokia in the past (only used three of their
phones though). The build quality seemed really shoddy and their RF
nowhere near as good as Motorola's. I've had Motorolas from the first
CDMA/analog startacs on bell mobility through to the p280 and v60i
(with fido). Awesome RF. Motorola knows radio.

You can get pretty decent deals on older Motorola models like those on
half.com (ebay).


obs@geocities.com (obs) wrote in message news:<772c0c2d.0407102311.13750465@posting.google.com>...
> I prefer to stick with Nokias since there usually
> is an easy + free way of unlocking them. Since
> you are interested in a tri-band, I take it that
> you would use your phone outside of Canada/US.
> You may also benefit from an unlocked phone. It
> is something to consider.
>
>
>
> > Thanks for your help! Basically I'd just like a small triband phone with
> > decent battery life. I don't need a camera or internet capabilities or
> > anything like that - just the basics. The 5190 is perfect except for the
> > fact that it's so BIG and it's not triband. I'll check out the gd-55!
> > Thanks again.
> >
> >
> > > Neither the 3100 nor 5100 has a built-in camera as far as I can tell.
> > >
> > > Recommendations depend on what you're looking for. If you need a
> > > small, somewhat modern triband phone on the cheap, the panasonic gd-55
> > > is going for cheap if you search around froogle or yahoo shopping. If
> > > you're looking for a colour phone with a camera, then the v300 seems
> > > like a decent deal. It all depends on what you want (need more
> > > details than a newer model quality phone).
> > >
> > > Jit Sandstrom <cool@can.ca> wrote in message
> > > news:<9mAHc.1027$_hf.95@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> > >> Does anyone have the Nokia 3100 and if so, what do you think of it? I
> > >> have a Nokia 5190 (yes, its ancient but despite it's mass, I like it
> > >> ) however I want to enter the new millennium and buy a new phone.
> > >>
> > >> Any recommendations for a quality phone on the low cost end? It
> > >> doesn't need a lot of fancy features. I just want to switch my SIM
> > >> card to the new pone (ie no contract).
> > >
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:38:48 -0700, sbdot wrote:

> Any place that unlocks phones usually can unlock any model from Motorola,
> Nokia and Ericcson. There is no 'free' unlocking - at best you need to
> buy a data cable, which costs more than taking it down to the local asian
> cell shop and getting it unlocked.

Hehe, well, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Quite a
few modern Nokia's can be unlocked for free, very easy to find out how as
well. NO data cable needed.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY