Solved! Nokia 4.2 Android 9 SD card wowes

Aug 20, 2019
well i have a Nokia 4.2 n poped a blank SD card in it and formated it for internal use, fast forward 3 months, the handset rebooted itself this morning and is now failing to recognise the sd card i wouldn't mind but this is the first time its done this, i cant access the data on the card and it contains some photos that cant be replaced, n to top it off my Google's drive failed to back up my photo's.

so now the question is how can i retrieve the data off the sd card when the phone wont even acknowledge the card is formatted for its own internal use.

kind regards, DL2020

Sent from my Nokia 4.2 using Tapatalk

Solution
If the card was made to be "Internal" storage and the device was reset then you can no longer get any access to the data on the card.

We are talking a reset though here. That is not a restart of the phone (meaning not powering it off and back on). If the phone is reset at all (partially or fully) then there is no way to regain the access. This is one of the reasons why making the SD card "Internal" storage is risky.

Once you make a card "Internal" storage it can only be accessed by that device in the state it is in when you make the conversion. Major changes to the system (as in a reset) will make the card inaccessible. There is no way to reverse it.

Some people will try to tell you to try using data retrieval software, but it...
If the card was made to be "Internal" storage and the device was reset then you can no longer get any access to the data on the card.

We are talking a reset though here. That is not a restart of the phone (meaning not powering it off and back on). If the phone is reset at all (partially or fully) then there is no way to regain the access. This is one of the reasons why making the SD card "Internal" storage is risky.

Once you make a card "Internal" storage it can only be accessed by that device in the state it is in when you make the conversion. Major changes to the system (as in a reset) will make the card inaccessible. There is no way to reverse it.

Some people will try to tell you to try using data retrieval software, but it won't work for this. The data put on the card is encoded and still on the card. The problem is on the phone, and nothing can fix it. Your only option is to format the card and start over.

Solution