Nokia Developing "Revolutionary" Phone to Shame iPhone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Nokia will be back on track in 2-3 years time, android would be outselling IOS in the same time...this is what will happen if apple dont start changing their IOS, but android will not stay open source, when it becomes non-opensource that when it will be #1.
Nokia had too much faith in symbian and that is what caused it to go down hill but if they offer android on their phones, Nokia will rise again.

so i wonder how many thumbs down im getting???

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
[citation][nom]jmchien[/nom]"Apple's iOS which features a user interface that is "convoluted" and "poorly designed," "A lot of talk...[/citation]

A lot of true talk ;)

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]manicm[/nom]Actually I'm not a fan of iOS and copycat Android - I find the swiping very annoying, especially on the home page to navigate across the next page of apps. That actually is poor design. And iOS user interface is getting a bit long in the tooth isn't it?[/citation]
Thats my main gripe.. I had the iPhone 3G for 2 years and now my iPhone4 is 2 years old and the UI hasnt changed since I got the first one.. If they dont make some serious changes to the UI, I'll be jumping ship just to use something different..

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]Nokia seems to be counting on retro technology. Single core, low ram, low res screen. As much as I would like to see Windows 8 phones do well, low spec phones keep me away. I'll keep buying high tech Android and iPhones instead.[/citation]

you forget that W8 is a very well made OS. Considering how good nokia is at phones, this will be very interesting.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]Nokia seems to be counting on retro technology. Single core, low ram, low res screen. As much as I would like to see Windows 8 phones do well, low spec phones keep me away. I'll keep buying high tech Android and iPhones instead.[/citation]

Technical specifications means nothing. It's all numerical dribble. If you see that e.g. a lowly Nokia C7-00/N8 still can keep up with most things bar (surfing the web) with its supposed antiquated CPU 680Mhz single core cpu. then you KNOW that all the rest is BS. In fact its only in webbrowsing that you see that it's not a multi-GHz multi-core powerhouse. And even then it is only because punters aren't patient enough to let each webpage fully load before tapping and scrolling pages. If they'd be a bit more patient then they'd see that these low-performance ARM11 based devices are indeed very capable workhorses. Also a slightly lower screen resolution also helps (including less power drain). The thing is that Nokia's Symbian accomplish this by efficient use of both GPU and CPU.

SO sure you buy 'high tech' iPhones and Androids whom waste their resources on unnecessary ridiculous high resolution screens while skimping on features. Do you really think that typing a SMS-message will be faster on a Quad-core Tegra 3 HTC-phone then on a 680Mhz Nokia Symbian model?

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]They always say that. iDevice killer this and that. Always fun to read about it however I for what would really like to see Nokia get their legs back under em and compete. I personally like Nokia a good bit and they use to have some really cutting edge designs. I hope they really release the mother of all smartphones and if it is what they say it is I will purchase it ASAP.[/citation]

Nokia already has it's iPhone killer. It's the N9 a far better phone both in features and in UI then their current 'flagship' windows phone crap (and IMHO the iPhone indeed). If Nokia just ironed out all the small niggles then it would be the best phone on the market. But thanks to Mr. Elop flushing the baby out with the bathwater, Nokia choose to step back 5 years with that Microsoft partnership.

As it is now the N9 is underdevelopped. Some hardware elements aren't even utilized and the software link to the PC resembles more of a beta compared to e.g. the matured Nokia Suite for symbian devices.

Nonetheless the N9 is proof that if anybody 'can' do then it could be Nokia. Or do you think that Samsung with that 'revolutionary' Bada OS wil do it? Or perhaps Brew OS from HTC is the Killer phone OS? Oh dear.

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Although this seems impossible and highly unlikely, I think it may have a chance. Motorola made a great older flip phone, probably one of the best. Many of you probably know what I'm referring to, the Motorola RAZR. Motorola decided to make an outstanding smartphone and slap the RAZR label on it. This was a pretty brave step for Motorola, because they didn't want to ruin the great reputation associated with the company, and their legendary phone. As a result, the RAZR turned out to be everything it was said to be. Personally I think it's best phone on the market right now. It also has something special about it, exceptional battery life. I'm kind of a phone geek myself, so I've had my fair share of using and trying out the newest phones. Android phones are infamous for having terrible battery life. I was skeptical to believe the RAZR would have comparable battery life to the iPhone 4. Motorola proved to me they weren't lying or exaggerating whatsoever. I think Nokia is in a similar situation. They are noted for making extremely durable, reliable phones. I think they are well capable of what they've proposed. Will it work? It's impossible to know, but I think it's definitely a possibility.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Specs are not everything, even some of the more meager Win7 phones knock the socks off of much more expensive android and Mac phones. I really don't see why they do not sell all that well (other than that they are never advertised).

G

I do not know what this guy is smoking...as if 100billion plus USD from Apple is just there for no good reason.They should just buy Nokia and finish the Finish:)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Funny, but these so called "inferior" handsets with WP7 managed to "Smoke" all the high-tech opposition very recently, WP7 has been picking up a lot of critical acclaim and Microsoft has deep enough pockets to keep slamming it at the chain until people realise it is a good and fast OS and stop being iSheep and Droidfags.

Status
Not open for further replies.