Nokia Developing "Revolutionary" Phone to Shame iPhone

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beavermml

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
why people buy smartphone becoz of the specs? i mean.. it useless to buy one with dual or even quad core if u can not use it.. i mean what work can you do an that device? 3d modelling? spreadsheet? most of my friends that buy the so called dual core and quad core smartphone just use it for sms, web browsing, facebook, etc. my old c3-00 even can do all that.?

holyprof

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]dspider[/nom]"Lumia" means prostitute in Spanish (but you probably knew that already if you followed tech news), yet they're still thinking about launching another one in April. Oh, Nokia...[/citation]

Right, Nokia is now Micro$oft's "lumia".

holyprof

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]rajaawad23[/nom]Nokia will be back on track in 2-3 years time, android would be outselling IOS in the same time...this is what will happen if apple dont start changing their IOS, but android will not stay open source, when it becomes non-opensource that when it will be #1. Nokia had too much faith in symbian and that is what caused it to go down hill but if they offer android on their phones, Nokia will rise again.so i wonder how many thumbs down im getting???[/citation]

Won't happen, Nokia virtually belongs to Microsoft so their products will be using Windows.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]Dialing back the hardware could mean one of two things, perhaps both. 1) The OS won't need the excessive hardware to run it. 2) Longer battery life.[/citation]

The OS might not but the apps do.

jimoreon

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
something called 'revolutionary thing' is mandatory action, if not, nokia will suffering for the next year to come

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]Nokia seems to be counting on retro technology. Single core, low ram, low res screen. As much as I would like to see Windows 8 phones do well, low spec phones keep me away. I'll keep buying high tech Android and iPhones instead.[/citation]
Those specs are the way they are because WP7 doesn't support higher resolutions, mutl-core SoCs, etc. WP8 will add support for higher resolution screens, multi-core SoCs, more memory, removable SD cards, etc., and you can bet Nokia will be first in line to release a new phone that takes advantage of all that.

All the haptic feedback and whatnot is nice in theory, but what I'm looking for when WP8 comes out is: Krait-based phone with a high-res screen and supporting up to 64GB micro-SD cards. Nokia releases that phone, they've got my money. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

jrbrown

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Why I will never use any Lumia in work or priv? Lumia is exposed with Windows Phone bug, which allows to disable any software on any WP device, Lumia 800 in this number and all the others. The particular string of characters, when displayed, causes Windows Phone to restart, and after restart the application which has processed this secret string stops running, even after several attempts to reboot. Hence a hard reset by an authorised service centre is the only solution. The proper character combination triggers the problem when it is displayed in any application which includes a danger of receiving (and subsequently processing) it via SMS, MMS, Facebook, Messenger, www site content in browser or typed it in any application by user. If a user has pinned a friend as a live tile on their device and the friend posts a particular message on Facebook then the live tile will update and inadvertently cause the device to lock up.
SMS with that string sent to a Windows Phone device will reboot it and the messaging hub will not open despite repeated attempts. If a user sends a Facebook chat message or Windows Live Messenger message to a recipient effect is visible. See how it works here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnhzuKcDo6A .
Problem exists on any Lumia and it is not device specific but appears to be an issue with Windows Phone kernel, and it can be used to a denial-of-service attack that allows attackers to disable a functionality on a device or even the whole device. There are unconfirmed rumours that the bug in fact is a tool for ACTA and SOPA execution. They have not confirmed this? How extra oridinary! The bug has been reported to Microsoft. And report was not answered even! At this stage, it appears that the only way to fix it is by hard resetting and wiping the whole device, resulting in permanent loss of all user data. As the string that triggers the bug is kept in secret, there is no way for a user to check on his own if problem persists on his own device. It is unknown how many such strings exist which trigger the bug.
The problem was confirmed on devices running the 7740 version of Windows Phone 7.5 while others were on Mango RTM build 7720 devices eg.: http://www.windowsfordevices.com/c/a/News/Killer-text-crashes-Windows-Phone-other-Microsoft-apps/ (Killer text crashes Windows Phone, other Microsoft apps), http://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/18710-Windows-Phone-Denial-of-Service-Attack-Vulnerability.html (Windows Phone Denial of Service Attack Vulnerability), http://mobile.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Windows-Phone-Vulnerable-to-Malicious-SMS-Messages-Facebook-Chats-777208/ (Windows Phone Vulnerable to Malicious SMS Messages, Facebook Chats), According to the bug discoverer, in spite of upgrades, it is still effective on build 8107.

Still want Lumia with WP? It is good phone. Only with some surprises. I need phone security and safety, and also community and devs supporting my needs, not only 3rd party company marketing and incomes, or treating me like an addition to marketing platform. And for this reason I have chosen Linux MeeGo and definitely Nokia N9 for business in my company. And we are safe: from surprises and from malware/viruses thanks to MeeGo linux built-in mechanisms and behavior. I'd like to know what HQ will answer shareholders on questions like: “there is visible and known market and demand for Nokia N9 and MeeGo products and software, so why we do not earn money from this? How our interests and business are in this area? How much money we have from this? What money we will have when users demands more products like Nokia N9? How about demanded tablet with MeeGo? Who is taking care of this and who is responslible?” Could you provide me some simple answers on above questions?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]Nokia seems to be counting on retro technology[/citation]
Indeed. Phones that last 2-3 weeks on a single charge are so yesterday.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]manicm[/nom]Actually I'm not a fan of iOS and copycat Android - I find the swiping very annoying, especially on the home page to navigate across the next page of apps. That actually is poor design. And iOS user interface is getting a bit long in the tooth isn't it?[/citation]

Widgets are very "old" eh? Stupid rounded icon grid on iOS is getting old, yes. Android (calling it copycat only shows your ignoracne) has a lot of bells and whistles.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
The iPhone has already been put to shame by phones like the Samsung Galaxy S2 and other phones by makers like Motorola, HTC, etc.... Been there done that. Next.

andyc-777

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I would like to ask one question, if Apple said today "we're working on a new revolutionary product" why does the world go mad ? Anyone read what Ahtisaari said about iOS and the iPhone ? Either he's stark raving mad, or he has a point. I wont get into Apple trolling, but isn't this the same guy in charge of the Lumia and N9 design and UI/UX ? How do we ignore the magnitude of the design of both devices ? and yes, the iPhone 4S UI/UX is getting long in the tooth, but it's still a popular and highly supported OS.

I get the sense that Apple supporters wish not to see any other OS in existence. Varied OS's means choices, some win some lose, in the end the big companies make billions. Unfortunately I can't wait until Windows Phone 8 devices, so I will place my bets on the White Lumia 900. Having used the WP7 on the Samsung Omnia 7 I can say WP7/7.5 is a pretty cool OS. I believe we're only seeing the first fruits of the Nokia/MSFT partnership. there will be more. Cheers !

andyc-777

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I would like to ask one question, if Apple said today "we're working on a new revolutionary product" why does the world go mad ? Anyone read what Ahtisaari said about iOS and the iPhone ? Either he's stark raving mad, or he has a point. I wont get into Apple trolling, but isn't this the same guy in charge of the Lumia and N9 design and UI/UX ? How do we ignore the magnitude of the design of both devices ? and yes, the iPhone 4S UI/UX is getting long in the tooth, but it's still a popular and highly supported OS.

I get the sense that Apple supporters wish not to see any other OS in existence. Varied OS's means choices, some win some lose, in the end the big companies make billions. Unfortunately I can't wait until Windows Phone 8 devices, so I will place my bets on the White Lumia 900. Having used the WP7 on the Samsung Omnia 7 I can say WP7/7.5 is a pretty cool OS. I believe we're only seeing the first fruits of the Nokia/MSFT partnership. there will be more. Cheers !

testerguy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
[citation][nom]andyc-777[/nom]I get the sense that Apple supporters wish not to see any other OS in existence. [/citation]

If anything I would say the reverse is true. The majority of Apple purchasers just buy because they believe the product is the best, and don't mind if other operating systems succeed in the future. A lot of people who buy Android do it for financial / hating Apple / wanting to be different reasons. The anti-Apple hate in some people is strong enough that they want them to fail at all costs.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Funny, but these so called "inferior" handsets with WP7 managed to "Smoke" all the high-tech opposition very recently, WP7 has been picking up a lot of critical acclaim and Microsoft has deep enough pockets to keep slamming it at the chain until people realise it is a good and fast OS and stop being iSheep and Droidfags.[/citation]

The hand-selected tasks carried out against a few phones, most of which were older models, many of which were lost (such as against the iPhone 4S), are not evidence of 'smoking' anything. It's ironic how quickly you lap this kind of marketing up when it suits your agenda. The bottom line is that people don't care about WP7 because it doesn't have anything like the app support people are used to. The device becomes irrelevant for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS