Nokia Has a 'Contingency Plan' if Windows Phone 8 Fails

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
As being someone that has owned several iPhones and still owns Android Phones running CM7, I switched to Windows phone 7 as my main phone can tell you Microsoft will not fail with Windows Phone 7 or 8. Microsoft has definitely been doing some homework and there OS by far is the most stable as well as fastest I have seen, even over Jelly Bean. iOS is just dated and needs a massive overhaul to keep it relevant, Android is a fragmented mess and as we have already seen Google is beginning to take more control of it to try to make not such a broken turd. When Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 hits, you will see the masses start to shift as long as MSFT doesn’t screw up the Surface launch.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]sgtgimpy[/nom]... as long as MSFT doesn’t screw up the Surface launch.[/citation]
MSFT has already screwed over everybody who 1) ever invested in Windows Mobile 6.x in the past, 2) screwed everybody over who adopted WP7.x.

And probably will screw over everybody with WP8 when WP9 is at the door.

Now IF wp7 was feature-complete then this wouldn't be so bad. But unfortunately it isn't. It has virtually no multi-tasking, no proper bluetooth implementation, a very restricted ecosystem (that will be unaccessible once MSFT abandon WP7 completely) and lots of other missing features (like local calendar and contact syncing, no 2-way call recording). In fact it isn't even usable as a USB-thumbdrive (without the required hacks on some devices).

Talking about 'a burning platform'.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Hmm... Windows Phone 7 needed 15 months to reach a 2% market share. Why would anybody think Windows Phone 8 will be a success? Microsoft's been forever bombing in the mobile market, and now Nokia is basically saying that they don't have confidence in WP8.[/citation]
I didn't knew that commanding at one time a worldwide smartphone market share of 43% was the same as forever bombing in the mobile market. For example, the best Apple achieved with iOS was 29%.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Nokia keeps supporting Symbian and everyone knows it but CNet. For releasing the 808 PureView with Symbian and only later with Windows Phone Nokia sends a clear message to Microsoft: we don't need you so if you neglect your OS you're the only one to run out of business.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm really hoping Windows Phone will be a success. Both Apple and Android need some competition.

I have an iPod Touch so am very familiar with iOS. A good OS, but definately feels more medi oriented than designed for prodictivity. Android is good, but I can not stand the fact it won't do what I say. I tell it not to automatically check my email, but every time a data drop occurs and it reeastablishes a connection, it checks it. I have almost as much RAM being used as on my desktop, and I have very few apps and only 4 widgets running. Instead of fixing the bloat, Android phone makers merely keep putting in more RAM and faster CPU's, which of course decrease battery life.

Odd how Microsoft is seen as the alternative in a field.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
iOS Phones is over 30% - Apple is the biggest seller of smart phones. Android is around 50% - with about 8 companies making phones with several dozen models.

WP7 is under 2%... still. Windows8 desktop will NOT drive people into the hands of Nokia and their WP8 phones.

I'm betting Nokia's backup plan is Android.... wouldn't take much to throw it into the phone and bring it out to market.

G

I have installed Windows Release Preview on Acer W500 and am testing it for running application. There is currently virtual zero worthwhile Metro app, but I use it mainly to run in desktop mode and current Windows application. I have a stylus and a air keyboard to operate such applications. In my opinion, Windows application is a lot more useful than whatever applications available iOS or Android platform. And having a non-touch interface (stylus and keyboard) to the desktop mode is not too bad. Therefore, I can see why MS is planning the Surface tablet and Asus is planning a convertible etc.

Still, MS is gambling big on the strength of its existing applications, to bridge the gap to attract developers to develop Metro app, and finally make their phone OS a success. It is really a longshot with too many if attach to it.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Nokia should already know that nothing will turn out to be good working together with Microsofts WP7.
Win8..I do not like the Metro thing...but...if Nokia has a chance using Win8? I dunno...I can not comment much about Win8 at this point.

I still also believe Nokia will arrogantly never work together with Android.

Nokia and RIM together? hmmm...2 soon will dead companies join together...this will be a soon will be dead joined company.

Meego was killed by Nokia premature...although...I think Nokia can survive better if Nokia sticks with Meego..

Symbian...naaahhh...not a single chance of surviving with Symbian...

Nokia and Apple? It ain't happening

hmmmm...what kind of plan B does Nokia have? Is there even any? If it is there...I hope it is good enough to keep Nokia from...you know...not existing anymore...

The best solution were actually to keep Meego phones and also producing phones using both Android and Microsoft WP7....and keep the Symbian thing for low-end dumb phones...This should have been the path for Nokia.

G

As long as it's not Symbian, I have a Nokia, 5mp autofocus LED flash and chrome-plated device of about thinner than iPhone is great, but the Symbian ecosystem is utter garbage, it is nice feature phone nonetheless.

Same goes to smaller "me-too" OS like Meego or Bada, you know we used to have the same problem with games...

Nokia did have some fighting words when Android was at beta itself, let's hope it overcome that mental block.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]MSFT has already screwed over everybody who 1) ever invested in Windows Mobile 6.x in the past, 2) screwed everybody over who adopted WP7.x.And probably will screw over everybody with WP8 when WP9 is at the door.[/citation]
All systems, iPhone, Android and Windows have bad support in the long run. With Apple, it will be a new iOS version that makes your iPhone run slower, but without bringing most of the new features that the new iOS devices receive (besides a few security fix). And then I don't even mention the iOS6 fiasco... many people screamed to downgrade back to v5. It looks like the main reason Apple offers an update for previous gens iPhones is to defeat (temporarily) the jailbreaks that are in place and align the devices with their new "policies".
Regarding Android, the long term support has been very variable depending on the manufacturer of your device and the specs of your phone. In lots of cases, your best chance for having an upgrade is to play with custom ROMs. But while I enjoyed testing all those ROMS as I am a tech junkie and finally found more or less what I was looking for, I have to admit that many are not that stable or miss features and the average consumers have nor the time, nor the competences to do this. The more time you spend customizing your ROM, the less you actually use what you paid for.
Most end-users don't know about upgrading their phones and don't event want to know what's under the hood. They use it as it ships out of the box and install the apps they need. As long as they find the apps they need for their devices and that the devices run smoothly with them installed, they don't develop negative feelings towards the OS of their device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS