Nokia Launches "Most Rugged Handset to Date"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
Nokia 1100, by far. I used one for four years, and then I gave it to my dad. The damn thing still works, and it has more hits than a golf ball...

G

Considering I'm still using my oooooooold Nokia nGage QD, I'd have to say its the most rugged phone I've ever had.

Plus it still runs NES emulators perfectly, why buy a new phone that doesnt even have the features of my old one?

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
A Nextel phone I used while working for a company. It fell out of my pocket and spent 2 days in the Oregon winter rain. I found it on the lawn a few days later and it worked good as new. Great phone!

BeAuMaN

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
This would be great for my dad, though he currently uses the Samsung Rugby (I forgot the AT&T branded name). Which works pretty good... but he's actually already broke it partially, since a water pipe blew into his chest and cracked the tiny outside screen. Then it has a few burns since he keeps it in his pocket when he welds.

They should really consult my dad for damage-proof phones >,>

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Most Rugged in my book goes to the Helio/Samsung Heat. At the time, it was technically superior to the Chocolate and it could take a beating. Thrown full speed into a brick wall multiple times by a friend with temper problems [his phone, not mine], it never once stopped sliding properly or developed any cracks.

G

It's just one of the (more or less) rugged phones, but probably not the most rugged, eg. the Sonim phones (like XP3), Samsung B2100 (with IP57 instead of Nokia's IP54) or M110 (more sratch resistant display), Casio G-Shock or maybe the Motorola Tundra. Some local crash test videos, including a car drive-over-it test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQIKAslZkY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj_U9jGPPU0

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
My LG's have been very robust, all flip's. All the moto's I've had were crap except my badass 7868. My bro has the gzone and makes a point of throwing it in fish tanks, pools, on the ground, chucking it down a road, making calls underwater, etc. and it has never gotten more than a few scratchs.

Every one of my non-smartphone phones has been submerged more than once, they all lived to work again, just gotta dry them out good. Never dropped one of my smartphones, but I'm extra careful with them.

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Nokia 6210. Best phone I've ever had. No camera, no mms, no mp3 player. Made phone calls and sent sms' never skipped a beat after drops, spillages etc. The battery life was 2 weeks on the original slim battery. Ironic that the only phone that I've owned that could withstand being pegged at a wall was the one I never felt the urge to.

I am outmatched in sheer abuse you people seem to direct towards your phones. However, my old enV was a champ for me. I dropped it a few time... and it went for a dunk while kayaking. I had it dried out with a cars hvac and it worked fine.. albiet the battery life was so-so afterwards. I've had no need to ruggedize :)

JumpKickJoe

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]There is no 'more rugged' phone than the Nokia 1100.[/citation]
No shit about that!

[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]most rugged??!??! wtf is that a joke?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG4OmgruYyUEricsson R310s is way more rugged then this piece of marketing crap.[/citation]
I had one of these already....that phone fell about 10 feet onto a concrete surface after getting soaked with water and still worked fine. Ericsson was quality until Sony came into play imho.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
My Motorola W490 is a beast. Being a police officer and having to "deal with" some people gets rough at times. It's been lost from my pocket countless times onto the pavement during foot pursuits, slammed into the ground/pavement while um..."introducing gravity" into a situation, rained on, submerged: made it to the bottom of a pool 2 times. One of those times it stayed under for almost 30 minutes. If only I could find a belt clip for it that would last more then one shift I'd be set.

DragonNinja

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
The Samsung SCH-8500 from Sprint. This phone was a tank back in the day. I ran over it with my car and it didn't even put a scratch on it!

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I acknowledge that there can be phones 'as rugged' as the Nokia 1100, which is practically indestructible...

I used that thing as a bludgeon... Concrete falls... Waterslide...

I desperately wanted my next phone to be a Nokia, instead of a lame Motorola...

Status
Not open for further replies.