Nokia Lumia 900 vs. Apple iPhone 4S

Status
Not open for further replies.

beta tester

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
The iPhone 4S will be upgradeable to the next version of iOS.

The Nokia Lumia 900 stops with Windows Phone 7.x, and can't be upgraded to the soon-to-be-released Windows Phone 8 (Apollo), which is a rewritten OS.

If you buy a phone, you want it to be valid and up-to-date for a couple of years, and not left behind 3 months after you bought it.

G

[citation][nom]beta tester[/nom]The iPhone 4S will be upgradeable to the next version of iOS.The Nokia Lumia 900 stops with Windows Phone 7.x, and can't be upgraded to the soon-to-be-released Windows Phone 8 (Apollo), which is a rewritten OS.If you buy a phone, you want it to be valid and up-to-date for a couple of years, and not left behind 3 months after you bought it.[/citation]

How's Siri on iPhone 4? Oh what you mean just 1 generation later the main new software feature isnt supported on the Apple platform?

tgandy

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
[citation][nom]beta tester[/nom]The iPhone 4S will be upgradeable to the next version of iOS.The Nokia Lumia 900 stops with Windows Phone 7.x, and can't be upgraded to the soon-to-be-released Windows Phone 8 (Apollo), which is a rewritten OS.If you buy a phone, you want it to be valid and up-to-date for a couple of years, and not left behind 3 months after you bought it.[/citation]

We don't know that, although it won't be too surprising. Apollo is a major jump in the OS and might require all new hardware. RIM didn't back BB7 backwards compatible with BB6 phones because it required so much more horsepower.

And besides, most people DON'T upgrade their phone OS. They get the upgrade when they buy a new phone.

-Andy

G

99.9 % of people don't need more the 16GB. Flash on the phone is old-hat. Everything is going to the cloud nowadays, and you just stream from there, or don't you read the papers?

G

Far more negative review then the general consensus.

Strange, did you give it enough time?

G

I think the reviewer simply missed those that only windows/Lumia phone can do and it is not fair just saying what iPhone have.

Few I can easily list:

a. the integrated people connection function, no matter is facebook, twitter or hotmail account, all in the same place and extremely convenient

b. the integration with XBox live, those easily saved game and user profile and sharing with friends and online gamers.

c. office system, which is truly make windows phone a great business friendly gadget where you can easily read a PowerPoint slide, excel worksheet and word document. If you compare two phones with feature like this, then iPhone got nothing

btw. the screen size! One thing has been hard for me to use iPhone is its 3.5 inch size. It is just too small after you have used any big size ones. I have been a iPhone user for more than one year, but the time I got a 4.0 inch focus, I dumped my 3GS and never looked back. the screen size can make a huge difference IMHO.

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Nokia is largest low end phone manufacturer, not smartphone. As well, the iPhone sports an A5 processor, not an A5X. Also, Lumia means prostitute.

tgandy

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
[citation][nom]Steelhead[/nom]I think the reviewer simply missed those that only windows/Lumia phone can do and it is not fair just saying what iPhone have.[/citation]

Not an unreasonable criticism at all. I had mentioned this but the review was getting long and started removing things for the sake of brevity. The inclusion of Office and SharePoint is a nice feature in the Lumia's favor, as is XBox Live, but all WP7 phones have that, so it's not exclusive.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I got this phone on the 10th and have been pretty pleased with it. Obviously the Windows Appstore is lacking and there are a lot less free game apps.

The phone really feels solid. I have relatively smaller hands and this phone had been easy to use, text, etc. I had no 'power off' issue or anything like that either. The phone is very responsive so far. I would've liked a built in fm transmitter so that I wouldn't have to directly connect my phone to my car outlet but oh well.

This is just the first step of things to come for MS and Nokia

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
It's hard to make power consumption comparisons. Since alot of power is taken up by the screen. Nokia with the bigger screen, would be expected to use more battery.

I was concerned when i saw the Apps. Not everyone needs 700 000 apps.
Apps not really that important to a lot of people

G

Apps are important, that is why Microsoft is paying iOS developers to port their apps to Windows mobile.

G

Windows phone allows a maximum display resolution of up to 480 x 800 dpi. This is ridiculous for today's high resolution smartphones.

dbgman

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Another article by an iphone fanboy! He only tells about what iphone can do and not what a windows phone can do. A windows phone has live tiles that tell me info without having to tap on something, metro ui, built in social integration,etc.

I wish someone would give a unbiased review!

Btw, I have used iphones, androids, and windows phones and I can say I like the windows phone the most. I own a Titan and my wife loves her lumia 900. When the app count is there the iphone fanboys will be jumping ship!

G

it completely omit/avoid talking the strength of WP7 OS. only through nokia hardware the os synergy you'll understand what makes this phone great. i used iphone, and been using wp7 for almost a year now. i can say for sure its much better smartphone experience. i am surprised how the writer tried to pick such irrelevant argument (such as the bluetooth version) while avoiding other much more important aspects

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
As others have stated this review reeks of IPhone user giving Windows Phone a brief try with no real in depth analysis.

Every comparison is what this phone cant do that the IPhone can do. What about all the things WP does that IPhone does not do (or WP7 does better).

_TuxUser_

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
@zulutech:
Nokia was the largest smartphone manufacturer, until Mr Elop open his mouth and wrote the disastrous "burning platform" memo. As a cellphone manufacturer Nokia has fallen from being 3 times bigger than Apple to be the 3rd largest and shrinking. Sales of the microsoft based Lumia phones has been a disaster (Lumia was released world over, the N9 was only released in small markets and anyway the sales of N9 has been 3 times better than all Lumia models together). In Nokias home market, the sales of Lumia devices is almost zero and in microsofts home market the sale of WP phones are not far from zero, if they can't get their home markets to believe on the product, no one else will. I see Lumia be killing Nokia and as long as the moron is CEO there will be nothing to save Nokia.

@cknobman:
WP has one thing a lot better than iOS, the security that you can't send files over Bluetooth or do anything else than audio. WP allows you friends to turn off your message service with a SMS(slight drawback is when you want to enable it again, you need to hard reset the device and loose everything stored on it). You don't have to worry about memory will be filled up with SMS drafts, as WP will not save such. WP is equal with iOS with number of drivers for hardware, so Nokia had to release PureView with Symbian as microosft wouldn't be able to support the hardware any earlier than 2013. Hope that list is okey for you, can say my old Nokia from early 2000 did manage to transfer files, save SMS drafts...

Status
Not open for further replies.