Nokia Suing Apple For Infringing on Everything

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If invention were everything, Xerox would be the only computer company. The Xerox PARC developed most of the means, such as the desktop interface, by which we use computers. They sat on the technology because they didn't want to risk of spending the vast amount of money necessary to bring it to market. Ideas are not products. You may have the idea for a smart phone, but you can't call anybody on the idea. Steve Jobs is a promoter, not an inventor, but he does have a history of being willing to risk everything on a good idea.

bigcatface

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
has anyone here actually got a nokia? i have an N97 mini, and with the exception of the battery life and the occasional crashing it blows everything else away: touchscreen? check. physical QWERTY board? you bet! GPS? of course! (and it's fast too!). loadsa memory with an expandable port? yesyesyes!! also, the line up of applications is not too shabby either!
you find me a phone that will do all that AND be durable enough for me to drop it on the floor 20+ times every time i go out drinking! i don't think there's many!
i don't know (or care) what it's like in america, but here in the UK the vast majority of people have a nokia and will usually stick with them. can't argue with that!

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Would be interesting if Nokia won everything... Would love to see Apple's ego diminished a tad with all the lawsuits they are throwing at people. ;p

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
going the SCO-Unix way. I hope Apple hits back with some countersuits and let these two companies sink together. Then the Koreans and Chinese can take over the market.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Too bad Apple bought the patient on "suing" . Good to see these companies working so hard on innovation[/citation]

That's actually IBM... And it ain't a joke...

Cheers!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
As the saying goes, when you can't innovate, litigate!

After getting prostituted by Microsoft, Nokia knows they are second rate, and can't compete. Rather than try, they are trying to make other people's products worse, or have them removed from the market.

It makes them look bad too. It looks like they're just throwing pencils at the ceiling and see what sticks. Wait, they didn't violate those patents. Let's try these and see how they work. It looks petty and desperate, and neither are attractive to customers, especially after recently getting sodomized by Microsoft.

Their identity is quickly changing to a company desperate for money, and desperate to stifle competition, while not being able to create their own technology, so they take money to use a product by another company that's entirely unsuccessful getting into this market without a bribe. It's a dangerous game, and could destroy them.

nekromobo

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Sounds like features in nearly every cell phone out there today, so why isn't Nokia filing lawsuits against other companies as well?[/citation]

Because everyone else is paying for Nokia's patents except Apple.

[citation][nom]Although I must say... if Nokia had all of these patents out before Apple even created the iPhone/iPad/iPod, then why didn't Nokia create similar products before Apple even released theirs? .[/citation]

They did and they where so much way ahead of time you people did not buy them, they where canned. They had touch screen phone in freaking 2004. Gaming phone in 2003. Too early for Joe Sixpack.

virustwin

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]And in the "10 years before the iPhone"... the awesome Nokia products that have such features in their phone and media players are the.... uh, wait. They have no state-of-the art phones, at least until they build their Windows7 Phones.They make some good phones, but nothing exciting in the past 5+ years.[/citation] such an ignorant statement. before os' determined the basis of a phone's technological achievement, circa 4 years ago, nokia were at the forefront of technology and were market leaders (still so if im not mistaken). now as companies build comparable hardware and slap android on it, the race becomes who can squeeze the extra megapixel or amoled screen on their devices, whereas back in the day the technological differences were really head turners and innovations to be marvelled at. im not knocking the current market but clearly you have not been around long enough mate..

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I have not seen anything on either an Apple or a Nokia cell phone that I hadn't seen in the 1980's on PCs other than perhaps some of the touch-screen technology which was pushed along a little by the iPhone...

And I think even Steve Jobs would agree that inovation isn't what Apple's success is about... Steve has said it's really about the artistic quality of their products within an atainable price range with a leaning towards the non-technical market segments that have made Apple so influential.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... may be nokia is the innovator, but with no vision... nokia loses everywhere... no vision or right implementation of innovative tech... and patents sux anyway... no one can improve an existing tech until they buy the patent... the patent system slows down progress... example? GE sits on Nicola Tesla patents... we would have free energy sins 1900....[/citation]
isnt there expiration date on patents like in the medecal field after a certain amount of years it goes public

Status
Not open for further replies.