Nokia Suing Apple For Infringing on Everything

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Considering that Apple somehow got a patent on huge concepts like "multitouch" I think Nokia has a case when it claims it innovated "multitasking".

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]At least some companies can invent truly own tech, not just glue two existing ones together and call it magic![/citation]
r u mean put 2 dies on 1 package make it as dual core processor ???

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
At least somebody is using them :)

"Nokia is a leading innovator in technologies needed to build great mobile products yet they don't build any.

G

"They make some good phones, but nothing exciting in the past 5+ years."

If you need 'novelty' phones to get excited, you really need a serious revision of your life right now.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]they cant.apple has patented the patent system[/citation]
Nope....IBM filed for a patent on the "patent process"...

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
1) Nokia and Apple build phones, everyone's happy,
2) Nokia and Microsoft announced a new partnership.
3) Nokia sues Apple over patents.
4) Industry is "surprised."

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
about time nokia grew some balls. they better find some better lawyers if they couldn't nail apple on these last suits it's pretty clear apple stole the tech and tweaked it less then 30% to get around calling it out right theft despite it being a year or more right after nokia came out with it first. if the blue tooth one doesn't hit jobs right in his piggy bank i'm going to say the courts are rigged.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]wawa sxm[/nom]isnt there expiration date on patents like in the medecal field after a certain amount of years it goes public[/citation]
... not if you have the money and influence... so what there is law... corporations brake the law all the time...

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
can't they see it themselves? the patent system is seriously flawed. Everybody suing everybody for everything. NO, I'm sorry that was NOT the intention when the patent system was invented(I really don't think so). But O.K, that's capitalism for ya', ULIKE? take that too, and GIVE ME THAT YOU CHEATING, STEALING EEL!

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Haha, that made my day.Sounds like features in nearly every cell phone out there today, so why isn't Nokia filing lawsuits against other companies as well?Although I must say... if Nokia had all of these patents out before Apple even created the iPhone/iPad/iPod, then why didn't Nokia create similar products before Apple even released theirs? Just seems like the only reason why they care now is because they realize all of the money they could have made.Sorry Nokia, but this going to be one of the few times I hope Apple wins.The patent system is just out of control.[/citation]
Nokia did had smartphones and slates long before Apple launched the iPhone or the iPad.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]truerock[/nom]I have not seen anything on either an Apple or a Nokia cell phone that I hadn't seen in the 1980's on PCs other than perhaps some of the touch-screen technology which was pushed along a little by the iPhone...And I think even Steve Jobs would agree that inovation isn't what Apple's success is about... Steve has said it's really about the artistic quality of their products within an atainable price range with a leaning towards the non-technical market segments that have made Apple so influential.[/citation]
Nokia had phones with touchsreens since 2003, 4 years before apple even launched the iPhone.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]And in the "10 years before the iPhone"... the awesome Nokia products that have such features in their phone and media players are the.... uh, wait. They have no state-of-the art phones, at least until they build their Windows7 Phones.They make some good phones, but nothing exciting in the past 5+ years.[/citation]
Their phones are definetly not the best and most reliable in the world. But they do make innovative systems. Their N series of phones far outclassed anything else in their price range, and their cheap 'classic' phones are just amazing value for money. But they're not brilliant. But then again - an iphone never was brilliant either. It just sort of sits there, mostly not working.
BUT - Nokia has more or less invented most of what we expect from a phone these days. They and ericsson (or however it's spelled) sort of created the 'standards' for how phones should be. They might've fallen back with the development of symbian, but the patents in question aren't from 2010 anyway.

In any event, I hope but doubt Nokia wins. It's hard to go up against something as corrupt as Apple in a courtroom that heavily relies on apple and not nessecarily an oveaseas phone maker from the dark parts of europe. I think except for the german trial, all the people involved will be predisposed to rule in Apple's favor.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]As the saying goes, when you can't innovate, litigate!After getting prostituted by Microsoft, Nokia knows they are second rate, and can't compete. Rather than try, they are trying to make other people's products worse, or have them removed from the market. It makes them look bad too. It looks like they're just throwing pencils at the ceiling and see what sticks. Wait, they didn't violate those patents. Let's try these and see how they work. It looks petty and desperate, and neither are attractive to customers, especially after recently getting sodomized by Microsoft. Their identity is quickly changing to a company desperate for money, and desperate to stifle competition, while not being able to create their own technology, so they take money to use a product by another company that's entirely unsuccessful getting into this market without a bribe. It's a dangerous game, and could destroy them.[/citation]
I'm not 100% sure you understand what is going on here.

Nokia are saying that they invented this tech and hold the patents for it and more than likely have it implemented in existing products.

They further go on to say that Apple has taken thos existing, patented and implemented ideas and put them into Apple products.

They are not "stifling innovation" they are rightly pissed off that Apple are stealing what they have pumped billions of dollars into R&D to create only for Jobsian Flying Monkeys to swoop in a steal.

Get your facts straight.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]bsbsbsbs[/nom]I hope Nokia wins a Trillion dollars and Steve Jobs ends up in cardboard box on the side of the street.[/citation]

He will soon end up in a box either way, he sure as hell look dying to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.