Nokia Workers Mourn Symbian With Walk-out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]pipo[/nom]To FrozenGpu and others with similar comments: The "workforce" get their orders from the Boss. In case you all seem to forget the current Boss is this jerk from Microsoft. I'm sure most of them are able to develop for WP7 as well as for Symbian yet he already said that there will be a "substantial reductions in employment." Probably so that he can strike that big bonus by the end of the year. ![/citation]
You are probably right, however, the devs could have done their part in proving that Symbian was a worth-keeping OS; for instance, if the OS is losing ground to the competition, try to make it compatible with the competition's apps or port these apps to your OS, that would make people keep it because of the expanding app base.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
What are they going to use on their low end phones ? S40 is also based on Symbian, right ? So, are they abandoning Symbian altogther and going for Meego on the low-end, or are they going to keep Symbian for he low end ? I mean, Windows Phone 7 is not meant, nor do I think it will even run in low end phones. Unless Microsoft develops a low-end phone OS that has some similar looks and features to WP7. Maybe that is also part of the deal. Does anybody know ?

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]You are probably right, however, the devs could have done their part in proving that Symbian was a worth-keeping OS; for instance, if the OS is losing ground to the competition, try to make it compatible with the competition's apps or port these apps to your OS, that would make people keep it because of the expanding app base.[/citation]

You make it sound like it's so easy... to port an app that isn't yours to begin with. Do you think that app-developers will "give" their source code to you just because you're Nokia? Don't be so naive. Eventually they're ALL in it for the money.

Fact is the OS is worth keeping. It has a technical advantage over other OS's that it doesn't require 1Ghz quad core power and performance to work at pace. Only a few apps who need the raw cpu power feel less slick on a Symbian device. Nonetheless, it's very convenient to blame regular workers who do as they're told without taking responsibility as CEO yourself. On the contrary. If by the end of the year Mr. Elop gets a bonus for blatantly putting thousands of ppl out of a job and destroying intellectual property (partly funded by EU goverment) of one company in favour of a former employer then I want that man to be hanged!

To guanyu210379: How dare you say that Symbian has no innovation. It was one o/t first 32-bit full multitasking compact OS around. It has the BEST copy and paste system build in (probably crippled by Nokia themselves). Just look at a psion series 5(mx). There's still nothing that comes close with regards to design (especially that gorgeous slide-forward keyboard) or to software (it has an amazing desktop-like copy-and-paste). Nokia phones themselves have full bluetooth capabilities (unlike the almighty iPhone), full multi-tasking (a feature removed from MSFT latest mobile OS, can you believe that?!?!?), copy-paste, full email/SMS/MMS, Outlook synchronisation (MSFT took decades to enforce Office outlook upon us and now they're ditching it in favour o/t cloud.. stupid....), topmodels have USB host, HDMI-mirroring (but the LG Star will probaly get more airplay in thes aspect too), They're the first with super-compact EDOF camera's, They have still the best camera-modules on their (high end) phones with proper lenses (unlike the cheap garbage-cams from HTC or motorola). They were the first with true FREE turn-by-turn navigation (not that crappy Google maps that half the world is jumping op for)! Nokia was the first to offer FREE unlimited music downloads with a mp3-phone. And yet you have the nerve to say they've had no innovation. Nokia has innovated more than Apple did. In fact Nokia was one o/t key developers of GSM-tehcnology in the eighties.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]What are they going to use on their low end phones ? S40 is also based on Symbian, right ? So, are they abandoning Symbian altogther and going for Meego on the low-end, or are they going to keep Symbian for he low end ? I mean, Windows Phone 7 is not meant, nor do I think it will even run in low end phones. Unless Microsoft develops a low-end phone OS that has some similar looks and features to WP7. Maybe that is also part of the deal. Does anybody know ?[/citation]

They're abandoning Symbian for smartphones.
They WILL keep using it for midrange and lower-end (touchscreen) devices though. It'll just play a less important role on the roadmap. I something guess like Samsung's Bada or HTC's Brew OS.

The really worrying part is that with this statement current supposedly high-end phones are immediately degraded to low-end products and hence not worth their perceived high(er) asking price. This will have disastrous impact on share-prices, market presence and consumer sales of current product-lines (which consist of mainly symbian based devices in one form or the other).

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Well Nokia's OS just was not good enough. That is all there is to it. Though partnering with Microsoft to use their OS is kind of risky since the OS is so new...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I honestly thought nokia died. I maybe see one or two phones from them anymore and the ones i do see are crap.

[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]huh symbian rocks wtf are you talking about been using it for almost 3 mounth and i yet to get eny problems but it needs to be updated like all software so it can be more stable and work better. [/citation]

um yeah never had problems for 3 months!!! i just wish it was more stable!!! news flash stability is a problem.

G

Sybian is a good fone... it has many aps from the ovistore. dont complain and whain....

Tero Häiskä
Finland
Oulu

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
Well, seeing as how symbian was nearly the death of nokia, I would close the door behind them!
They did a poor job, period. The symbian platform just does not cut it anymore. I was a nokia fanboy untill my last 2 phones, the last being an expensive n97. altough it plays MKV files very well, it just freaks when I get calls, and, whatever power a phone has, you would at least expect it to function like a rock when it comes to basic operation. Good Riddance Symbian!

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]Its not as black and white as some of you are making it out to be. But I guess its easier to simplify things for you knuckleheads.[/citation]
What is not so B&W? Would you mind elaborating on your statement?

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I like Nokia. But... In a business stand point, Symbian just cannot compete with a FREE OS like the Android. HW manufactures perfers not having to license the OS for every new HW releases. Reality is harsh.

There is only one solution to beating the Android OS. The answer is that the competing OS must be FREE! :)

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Everyone is blaming the Nokia developers, but they only do what management tells them to do. Nokia stockholders should clear house at the top and replace managers and executives with people who can actually lead a company.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
How dare you say that Symbian has no innovation.

Right...all that great stuff really made it a wonderful device that everyone uses! Oh wait...no one cares about Symbian anymore...so yeah you can whine all you want about how wonderful Symbian is but the facts speak for themselves: Nokia as a company with Symbian is dying. You see, whether you invent something or not doesn't really matter. For crying out loud RCA invented the first practical LCD display in 1964 and yet did such a piss poor job with it that Samsung, LG, Song, etc won.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I loved Symbian. Not the S60 interface, but Symbian+MOAP. It ran fast and efficiently - something you never get with smartphone OS these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.