Non-gamer What sizes needed that type user?

cindylar

Estimable
Dec 15, 2017
Looking to buy possibly Lenovo or Asus laptop.

What parameters need to be considered for my usage as described at bottom of message here.

How much:
RAM: is this for how quickly search finds your item?

gb: is this the amt of info stored?

What about Celeron and any other type processor?

Any other "numbers" I should be aware of?

My use of laptop is surfing internet, Facebook !!, I do genealogy and use Family Tree Maker database, I use Ancestry.com. Lot of documents saved in files from older .... can't think what else...

Thank you. Browsing your forum I felt you had a lot answers for folks. Appreciate this!
Cindy

Solution
Here's one candidate from BestBuy US:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-14-touch-screen-laptop-intel-pentium-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/6062100.p?skuId=6062100

This $330 Lenovo features very basic hardware specs, but I'm confident they'll handle the type of workload you describe. The 14" touch-screen combined with the 2-in-1 flip design will afford increased practicality in a 3.75lbs chassis.

RAM is a measure of how many things the computer can handle simultaneously. It is quoted in gigabytes (GB). Examples could be the number of browser tabs and/or running applications. For your work schedule, 4GBs should be OK.

The CPU is the unit that processes data, and the 2.3 GHz Intel Pentium 4415U in this Lenovo will handle database...
Here's one candidate from BestBuy US:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-14-touch-screen-laptop-intel-pentium-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/6062100.p?skuId=6062100

This $330 Lenovo features very basic hardware specs, but I'm confident they'll handle the type of workload you describe. The 14" touch-screen combined with the 2-in-1 flip design will afford increased practicality in a 3.75lbs chassis.

RAM is a measure of how many things the computer can handle simultaneously. It is quoted in gigabytes (GB). Examples could be the number of browser tabs and/or running applications. For your work schedule, 4GBs should be OK.

The CPU is the unit that processes data, and the 2.3 GHz Intel Pentium 4415U in this Lenovo will handle database searches and similar computational work without problems. Celeron is an alternative to Pentium and Core processors. Core processors are usually a bit more sophisticated and so more expensive.

GB, or gigabyte, is the numeric indicator of volume, both for RAM and for storage. The Lenovo has 500 gigabytes of storage capacity, which will accommodate literally tens of thousands of documents.

Not wanting to overwhelm you with a barrage of tech-gibberish, I think these are the most relevant parameters for your particular mission. Even so, let's be clear about this Lenovo: It is a very basic machine with good looks and great functionality - and a very attractive price tag.

So far, I've presumed that you'd want to spend as little as possible, but if you're willing to spend anywhere from $400 to $1,000 - well, then, a Core i-series CPU will be faster; 6 or 8 GBs of RAM will expand multitasking capabitlity; and 1,000 gigabytes of storage - well that means even more documents.

Obviously, this is not the only laptop you should consider, but at least now you have some idea of what to look for.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution

cindylar

Estimable
Dec 15, 2017
Great feedback on a lot of questions. Thank you so much, GreyCatz. I like your information. Before deciding I will look into a bit more multi-tasking options plus check out Asus now that I have a much better idea on what will take care of me. Happy I am now better educated for shopping. :)