laddiemawery

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
I have a bunch of recorded files that are either in a .mp4 or a .ts file that I've been recording to use for the past few months. All of them were recorded with Avermedia's Live Gamer HD.

For the .mp4 files, I can view them back perfectly in sync in Media Player Classic, Quicktime, and Windows Media Player, but when I import them into Premiere Pro CS6 they drift out of sync. I found out that this format from the packaged recording software (RECentral) provides a variable framerate. I'll post the mediainfo information from one of the files if anyone wants to look at it. I then went back to using Sony Vegas 12 to edit the videos because the audio did not drift out of sync like it had in Premiere. My problem here was that even though the audio did not drift out of sync, I could not sync a separate audio file of my voice to the video because it has a variable frame rate.

After not solving those problems, I moved onto using the .ts files. For whatever reason using the same recording software this file output gives a constant frame rate. Because of that I'm able to edit these in Premiere.

Then I encountered another problem. Even though I can edit this format more easily in Premiere, it freezes when loading or drastically increases memory usage to the point where I can't do anything on my computer (I think that may be because the file sizes are decently large thought). So I then tried to import these into Sony Vegas to find out that it only gives me a video track, not noticing the audio.

What annoys me more than the problems that I have, is that at the end of January I was able to edit and .mp4 file perfectly in Premiere. Since then though I've had to reformat my hard drive to install new parts into my computer.

So in short I guess my questions come down to is there a way to fix the variable framerate without any quality loss in the .mp4 files. And is there a way I can make Sony Vegas read the audio in the .ts files or fix the loading issues in Premiere?

I greatly appreciate any help!

mediainfo for .mp4 file
General
Complete name : G:\****.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 27.0 GiB
Duration : 1h 19mn
Overall bit rate : 48.5 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2014-03-31 03:13:07
Tagged date : UTC 2014-04-04 21:22:11

Video
ID : 2
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=30
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Source duration : 1h 19mn
Bit rate : 48.2 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Original frame rate : 30.000 fps
Minimum frame rate : 15.000 fps
Maximum frame rate : 30.000 fps
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.776
Stream size : 26.8 GiB (99%)
Source stream size : 26.8 GiB (99%)
Language : English
Tagged date : UTC 2014-03-31 03:13:07
Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics : BT.601
Matrix coefficients : BT.601
mdhd_Duration : 4778164

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Source duration : 1h 19mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Nominal bit rate : 256 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Source stream size : 137 MiB (0%)
Language : English
Tagged date : UTC 2014-03-31 03:13:07
mdhd_Duration : 4778062

mediainfo for .ts file
General
ID : 48879 (0xBEEF)
Complete name : G:\****.ts
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 30.3 GiB
Duration : 1h 25mn
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 51.0 Mbps

Video
ID : 68 (0x44)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Codec ID : 27
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics : BT.601
Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
ID : 69 (0x45)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : LC
Muxing mode : ADTS
Codec ID : 15
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : 5ms

Edit: I'm not sure if it matters but I'll post my PC specs also

ASRock Extreme 4
i7 3770k
Gigabyte 770
G Skill 8gb RAM
Ultra 750w PSU

laddiemawery

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
I upgraded to Premiere CC and it seems to have fixed my problem with crashing trying to load .ts files. I'm still looking for a way to fix the frame rate issue with the .mp4 files though.

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
:hello:

Kindly I ask your attention.

I don't know anything about it, but this is what I found on the net:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/647540/ffmpeg-batch-a-fix-for-variable-frame-rate-for-adobe-premiere-pro/

https://www.google.nl/#q=How+to+fix+film+rate+of+.mp4+files+with+Premiere+CC%3F

There will be a lot of links to go for.

Hopefully I let you known enough, that you will find the answers you seek! :)

Good luck & have fun doing it! :)

Best Regards,

MeneerWitte

Audio film rate of .mp4 files out of sync when importing to Premiere Pro CS6?
Or, CS5.

Google results:

http://www.videomaker.com/community/forums/topic/premiere-pro-and-mp4-files-audio-out-of-sync

http://www.brorsoft.com/how-to/import-mp4-to-adobe-premiere-pro-cs5-cs6.html

http://hd-video-transferring-mac-wins.jimdo.com/2013/07/28/best-workflow-1080p-720p-mp4-files-and-adobe-premiere-pro/

And so on.

I use Premiere Pro CC and may be able to offer some assistance. Do you use a separate drive for your source files or are the files stored on the same drive as Premiere and the OS? Though this won't help with the sync problem you may want to consider upgrading to 16GB of RAM as it will definitely help with large files. I will be looking into the variable frame rate issue.

laddiemawery

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

I record the files onto a separate SSD drive and then transfer them to an external drive to store them. So when I load them into Premiere it's from the external drive and Premiere is on the same drive as my OS. I do plan on upgrading to 16GB but I have to wait a little while before I can.

I've also looked at some of the links above from my searching before he posted them and none have been able to help so far.

Is the external drive a USB 2.0, USB 3.0 or eSATA drive? Just wondering how that might affect the process as it relates to transfer speed. Anyway, I know that doesn't help with the variable frame rates. However, it might have an impact when trying to edit the .TS files in Premiere. Do you get the same freezing problem in Premiere if you import the files from the SSD instead of an external drive? I'm thinking the external drive could be causing a bottleneck but I could be wrong.

laddiemawery

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
It's through a USB 2.0 cable, I haven't tried loading them from the SSD of my main drive just because of space. I can deal with the longer load times on the .ts files because they do work after they load. Right now I'm mainly trying to find a way to either fix the variable frame rate without any loss in quality or a way to sync the audio.

I spent a while researching the issue of working with a variable frame rate clip and I couldn't find a suitable solution. I'm not saying one doesn't exist but from what I read it appears to a difficult task at best.
The links below may be helpful with syncing audio in Premiere Pro CC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJGWnGFtOQA
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-pro-cc/merge-clips-automatically-using-audio-waveforms/
http://vimeo.com/81541048