Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedHelpBuildingPC

Estimable
May 3, 2015
Recently I've been trying out Premiere Pro, but have been running into some storage issues when importing footage.
Every time something is imported into Premiere, it creates PEK and CFA files. The PEK files are fine being only megabytes in size normally, but the CFA files are HUGE, usually being around half the size of the actual video footage itself. This is a problem because I have lots of long and high file size footage, which means when I tried to import it, I noticed that suddenly my Hard Drive went from having a decent amount of space remaining to pretty much almost full. Vegas Pro also generates its own SFX files, which are almost exactly the same size as Premiere's PEK files, but it doesn't generate anything like the huge CFA files that Premiere does. So I'm asking if there is any way to disable or turn of the generation of these CFA files? It seems weird how Vegas can work perfectly fine without needing creating large support files but Premiere doesn't. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Solution
I think CFA and PEK files are audio conform and index files that Premiere generates for the edit. They should only be created once at import and they are required.

I've seen this in previous versions not sure if it's still there. Go to Preferences and under Media see if there is still a ticked box under Media cache files that says "Save Media Cache next to Originals when possible", if it's there uncheck it and see if that helps.

Satan-IR

Estimable
Apr 18, 2014
I think CFA and PEK files are audio conform and index files that Premiere generates for the edit. They should only be created once at import and they are required.

I've seen this in previous versions not sure if it's still there. Go to Preferences and under Media see if there is still a ticked box under Media cache files that says "Save Media Cache next to Originals when possible", if it's there uncheck it and see if that helps.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.