billiam

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
My 36" CRT based TV is going to die soon. I am being forced to find a new main/home theater TV. A lot of non HD source will be watched on it. What I have noticed in looking around at different Electronics stores, is that non HD sources look horrible on the Plasma and LCD displays. Am I seeing this correctly? Since CRTs in the larger size are no longer available, what would be the best to get now taking in to account my non HD source needs?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Yes what you've seen is correct.

Think of it as a space. HD is capable of having 1920 X 1080p (example full boxes) space and you're trying to put 420i (half of boxes) to 1080p. So you have to position your boxes properly so it may look like the 1080p space is full.

That's why viewing High Definition with Standard Definition source look undesirable.

While viewing on Standard Definition from High Definition source would be better, but TV with SD will not no run on HD source. I haven't check on why it will not work so you might ask somebody else on that.

That's why they're selling upconvertion/upscaling unit these days. It takes your SD 480 resolution and fill up the rest of the space of up to 1080 HD resolution.

Now you might be wondering about what units are........?. Here's one link and you can go on from there.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/infoID.35/qx/info.htm

unfortunately there's no other way around this since that is where the technology is taking us.

Hope this help you somehow.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
If you're looking for a TV that still within range of your old TV then look for EDTV (Enhanced Display). Your regular non HD sources would look as good as when your wacthing your old TV.

That's if you can still find one on the market.

ED TV’s have 480p lines of resolution, so it's inferior display compare to HDTV.

billiam

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
Thanks for your reply. This certainly does explain what I have seen. This gives me some good information for making a final decision on what to do.

Thanks again