Solved! Non-Latin characters TXT issues on Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

asiniv

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi,
I write in Hebrew and am trying to simply save and edit TXT files in my native language on my device (Galaxy A51, fully updated android 11).
I tried all sorts of free editor apps from the google app store, but every time I save a file and try to open it in an editor, or upload to the cloud and download again, it's displayed as gibberish.
I also made sure to manually set the app for unicode 8 (in Turbo Editor for example), but it is still displayed in gibberish as per the above.
The only workaround I found for now is to use Microsoft office word for mobile, but it defaults to docx. And it's also not so suitable for my uses.

May someone please advise how I may be able to simply create / edit /ddl/upload TXT files in Hebrew (i.e non-latin characters) similarly for example to Notepad++ for Windows?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
the odt is newer standard. newer office and open office should open them

rtf format is old, not sure why word google app is not handling it

asiniv

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Ok, so this works - kinda.
Depends on what txt editor app I use.
If I simply try to open a file I saved as rtf with word it says file is curropt...errr.

Why is this simple task so complicated on mobile?

asiniv

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for the tips.
I'm not familiar with .odt - from what I see it seems to be less common, and mostly on open office.

So after some more'shopping' around the google play store I found the 'Text Editor' app. It seems to handle the .rtf saved file well. Though for some reason Word still identifies it as curropt.

I guess that's good enough...
less you have a better recommendation or an explanation for Word's behaviour?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that all the operations currently discussed are performed on a fully updated Galaxy A51 Android 11.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.