Noob needing help with crossover

LifeOfDenial

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Upgrading from a all-in-one home theater in a box so I'm really just learning home audio.

Got a few deals over this holiday sales I couldn't refuse. Klipsch quintet V set for $249. Klipsch R-12SW for $225 and pioneer elite vsxlx301 for $400

The quintet's manual says to crossover at 120hz. The specs show 110Hz-23kHz. The R-12SW specs 29Hz-120Hz +/-3dB. My dilemma is the reciever crossover setting doesn't have a 120hz. It jumps from 100hz to 150hz. Do I set it to 100hz and strain my satalites, would the 10hz even really strain them, or do I set it to 150hz and deal with the 120-150hz gap?

I travel for work so I haven't got to play with it, but I plan to try both when I can. Just want opinions/options/drawbacks. My only other options are to return equipment and pay the higher non-sale prices. Thanks for any input

Solution
The sub doesn't stop playing at 120hz. It will have substantial output to 200hz.
The sats may not go down as low as the specs say as well. That allows them to play louder. I would try the 150hz crossover. If the woofer is too boomy in your room you can try the lower crossover point.
You may have a gap because small sats in general don't go low enough to seamlessly blend with a subwoofer.
You can try it both ways and see which sounds better to you. If will depend on room acoustics, woofer placement, and your own taste. If the receiver has some room correction such as Audyssey it might correct for some potential problems.
The sub doesn't stop playing at 120hz. It will have substantial output to 200hz.
The sats may not go down as low as the specs say as well. That allows them to play louder. I would try the 150hz crossover. If the woofer is too boomy in your room you can try the lower crossover point.
You may have a gap because small sats in general don't go low enough to seamlessly blend with a subwoofer.
You can try it both ways and see which sounds better to you. If will depend on room acoustics, woofer placement, and your own taste. If the receiver has some room correction such as Audyssey it might correct for some potential problems.

Solution