norton anti virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

margaret

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
Does anyone else have this problem??? SOmetimes when I open up XP, my Norton Icon has a red X thru it because the auto block is not on. When I try to enable it it says that there is a script error and i then have to turn off computer and try to reboot and hope that the red X is gone!! It is very frustrating because you never know when this is going to happen.. Have talked to symantec and microsoft and got some kind of patch, but even that does not work all the time--any help ???

margaret

Zalkryn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
I have the same problem! It has always worked in the past. The only thing I have done different is I installe Audigy 2 and an ATI 9700 Pro, as well as a new DVD CDRW Drive, and reformatted. Everything is working except NAV and I cant auto-update my Audigy 2 from thier site, creative site says some components are corrupted. I dont know if the 2 problems are related. Hope someone has an answer. I will try the patch you spoke of tho...

Pentium 4 2g
Asus P4T-E MB
512 PC800 Rambus
ATI 9700 Pro
Linksys 10/100 network card
SB Audigy 2

margaret

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
I uninstalled and reinstalled NAV, and the problem is still there. Symantec cant help with the problem.,,,,,they just keep saying uninstall and reinstall. I am just about ready to purchase another anti virus software, because 75% of the time I have to keep shutting off pc and restarting until auto block works.

good luck

Zalkryn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
Same here! :(

Pentium 4 2g
Asus P4T-E MB
512 PC800 Rambus
ATI 9700 Pro
Linksys 10/100 network card
SB Audigy 2

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
May I suggest:

<A HREF="http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/" target="_new">Panda AntiVirus Platinum 7.0</A>.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

margaret

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
that would be great if it worked. Unfortunately you get an error message that does not allow you to do that. Nothing works with this issue.... I have struggled with this for almost 8 months! As I said, Symantec is clueless and so is Microsoft.

thanks

margaret

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
NAV 2002, Windows XP,HP printer, 1 hard drive, speakers,. No I havent tried to erase everything and just the thought of that throws me into a state of panic. But just so you know, this is the second computer this has done this on and operating system on first was Windows 98. The computer now is a Dell, prior computer was a Gateway. Something is just weird here, huh?

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
i know this doesn't help for anyone who just went out and bought anti virus after their computer has been up for a while (long enough for a reformat to be out of the question) but here is what i've found: first off norton anti virus is a VERY good program and updated very frequently, their products have compatibility issues and errors just like every other software programmed *thing* out there, but they give updates faster than most software companies and i like that :). Anyway, i have found that the stupid red x and the innability to activate antivirus seems to come when you install it on a system which has had other stuff installed on it first. Bar non, wether its installing on fat 32 or ntfs, it doesn't like being installed over other programs (haven't tracked down which one it doesn't like but it must be something that is important to getting a computer running like video drivers or something. I have found that the only way to fix this problem is to install anti virus as the first program you install after you install windows whatever, when i do this, i've never had any problems with it, when i don't, its a 30/70% chance that it won't work...

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames; mmmm, smores*
%Think before you act would be a good motto%

Status
Not open for further replies.