Norton Cuts Antivirus Product Line from Nine to One

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddg4005

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
This makes sense; instead of a dizzying array of offerings you get one product that covers everything. Too bad the $80 price is a bit steep.

iogbrideau

Estimable
May 28, 2014
Still won't use it. Never detects anything on the computer of people that I know that have Norton. There are far better antiviruses out there.

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
The Norton Antivrius-Gaming Version was the best software they made, bring it back Symantec!!! No overhead, no bells and whistles, just background scanning when needed.

I couldn't imagine paying any money for an antivirus let alone $80. Avast and AVG are just as good if not better and are free. All the other internet security garbage is just bloat and usually causes more problems than it solves. Even on an Avast install I uncheck all the extra components.

Also odds are your ISP already offers a free copy of Norton or McAfee. If you want a big name brand.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
here is a product that works very, very well and it's free...did i mention that it also uses signatures from bitdefender and avira?......it's called 360 Total Security....can be downloaded for free from safe360.com

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
What we realized was we actually ended up confusing a lot of customers

What, by letting customers think they're install virus protection when in fact your product is actually a virus itself?

Reducing the product line down to a single product is a good idea to assist the lay person, but I still think a single product is 1 too many from Norton.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Wonder if they'll remove Norton's shitty resource consumption and make it decent...
You're a little late on that. Norton has been one of the most resource friendly antivirus solutions on the market for several years now.

JoBales

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014
I've always liked Norton and had planned to continue with it. However, by discontinuing the lower tier products (the ones I used because I didn't need a product for five computers or smartphones, etc.) and offering one product which is much higher priced than I'd been paying, this will be the point that I finally bail and check out other well-reviewed products that DO offer different price points that meet different users' needs. As far as I'm concerned, this was simply a way that Symantec THOUGHT they would hold people over a barrel while they shook extra money out of their pockets. Greedy bastards.

mnd_bg

Estimable
May 22, 2014
Sorry damage was done few years ago when Norton package was using way too many resources than it should have. I went somewhere else and I'm quite happy.

As for the free AVs... There is no free lunch. You get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.