Norton Internet Security vs. Comcast's Norton Security Suite

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsjim

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
Comcast is offering a free download of something called "Norton Security Suite." Some of my PCs are running the retail version Norton Internet Security 2010, which is acceptable to me.

Does anyone know what "Norton Security Suite" is exactly, and how it differs (if at all) from Norton Internet Security 2010?

Thanks for any insights.

Solution
No, Comcast's Norton Security Suite is not the same as Norton Internet Security 2010. According to the Comcast Security site, NSS is based on Norton 360, but Comcast's website doesn't say which version of N360 (3.0 or 4.0) it's based on.

According to the sites above, both suites have the following:

Norton AntiVirus
Norton Antispyware
Botnet protection
Norton Identity Safe
Norton Safe Web
Firewall protection
Network protection
Norton Browser Protection
Norton Pulse Updates

NSS has these two additional features that NIS does not have:

PC Tuneup
Smart Startup Manager

From my own experience with Norton 360 (version 2.0), it would tell me that an "intrusion was blocked", but it wouldn't tell me where it came from...

tomsjim

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
I've been using Norton Internet Security for years. They were terrible until about 2007, and then Symantece listened to the (legitimate) complaints and streamlined the program. For the last 2 or 3 years, it's been great for me. But that's not my question (and there have been tons of threads, here and elsewhere, about that!).

I'm trying to figure out what this different program, "Norton Security Suite," is. I think it must be different in some way, or they wouldn't use a different name for it. Anybody know what the difference is?

Spare Head 3

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
No, Comcast's Norton Security Suite is not the same as Norton Internet Security 2010. According to the Comcast Security site, NSS is based on Norton 360, but Comcast's website doesn't say which version of N360 (3.0 or 4.0) it's based on.

According to the sites above, both suites have the following:

Norton AntiVirus
Norton Antispyware
Botnet protection
Norton Identity Safe
Norton Safe Web
Firewall protection
Network protection
Norton Browser Protection
Norton Pulse Updates

NSS has these two additional features that NIS does not have:

PC Tuneup
Smart Startup Manager

From my own experience with Norton 360 (version 2.0), it would tell me that an "intrusion was blocked", but it wouldn't tell me where it came from... NIS at least had a log I could search through with information like what website tried to install some rogue software, or I could find out what IP address tried to get access and I could do a whois search... N360 wouldn't do that at the time, but I don't know if version 3 or 4 will do that now.

My advice is to keep your NIS 2010 until the subscription runs out, then try the Comcast Norton Security Suite- the AntiVirus and Firewall modules (and probably the Identity Safe and Network Protection) in both Suites are probably the same. If you don't like Comcast's NSS, you can always buy the next version of NIS.

Solution

tomsjim

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
Thanks, Spare Head. Your answer was what I was looking for.

I've learned to be skeptical of "free" things from big companies like Comcast, and these things can contain unwanted (and sometimes intrusive) additional "features." So, I don't install them until I'm sure I understand exactly what they are. Your thoughtful answer gets me just about there.

I'll probably just stick with NIS 2010 (my subscription doesn't expire until 2012 . . . ).

Thanks again,
Jim

NahNood

Estimable
Mar 27, 2014
For the record, Norton Security Suite from Comcast is simply Norton 360 renamed, minus a few features but otherwise exactly the same.

The features removed are:

- Online backup storage ability
- The Feedback, Account, and Sign in commands on the main window
- The Zone, Manage, and Mobile icons on the main window

The minor changes would be:

- License valid for the entire time you have Comcast service (or until the 2 companies break their deal, I suppose)
- Can install on up to 7 computers (and they don't even have to be on Comcast, the activations are linked to your Comcast account)
- There's an Xfinity logo next to the Norton logo on the main window :)

Cheers

Tracy Scanlon

Estimable
May 1, 2014

Thanks for this,I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what to do when NIS expires next month!

Status
Not open for further replies.