Not getting notifications on OnePlus 3 running Android Marshmallow unless I wake the screen

mblancoc

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
I have a OnePlus 3 and have made every effort to check that all my notifications for calendar, whatsapp, emailing, etc. are set to both vibrate and make a sound, disabled all battery optimization features for apps as outlined here http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-3026187/disable-doze-android-marshmallow.html, tried using screenlock wake apps to avoid having the CPU sleep, and more. However, I am still unable to get notifications for whatsapp, emails, calendar reminders and events once my screen goes to sleep or I lock then phone and it's idle (so after about 15-30 minutes of it sleeping), but calls and texts seem to come through fine (or at least I haven't noticed these being an issue as much). This is a HUGE inconvenience, as my main reason to have a smartphone is so I can check emails, calendar events and such right as I receive them, and not only when I wake up my screen (which then bombards me with all my previous missed notifications from hours before). I have a feeling this is an android 6.0 issue and not due to the OnePlus 3, because it's been reported in other sites and by people with phones also using either this OS or lollipop. My older Samsung galaxy S4 running kitkat never had these problems, and at this point I'm very keen on going back if I can't get my new phone (or this OS, as I predict) to notify me right away even when my screen is locked and phone asleep (I can't always remember to check it especially if I'm busy at work). I am willing to root the phone and change settings if that's an option, but I would please like to see if you guys have any other suggestions for allowing my phone to receive notifications right away even when in sleep mode/idle/dozing. Thank you for your time in advance :)

Solution
Oneplus just released a new oxygen OS update which takes care of the notification issues. But to resolve this before this OTA came out I rooted and disabled the doze mode with dumpsys deviceidle. So all is good now! :)
Have you tried turning off the WiFi and see if you get the notifications then? I have seen this happen more than a few times and it is often related to the WiFi being on.

Also, I have seen many posts on the OnePlus site about this issue (look under "push notifications issue"). You aren't the only person with the problem. I would suggest you create a support ticket with them about this issue. They will then get more info on how wide spread the problem is, and they will also get back to you when they have a fix.

mblancoc

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

Thank you for your response! Unfortunately when all this happens I don't have my WiFi turned on at all. I am just using data. But I will definitely look under the OnePlus website for that thread, and see what they can do. Thank you again, and please do let me know if you have any other suggestions/ideas! :)

mblancoc

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
Oneplus just released a new oxygen OS update which takes care of the notification issues. But to resolve this before this OTA came out I rooted and disabled the doze mode with dumpsys deviceidle. So all is good now! :)

Solution