Not recognizing graphics card?

ComputerLackey

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
I have an Alienware 13 R2 with it's NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960m and have been wondering for awhile why my FPS always seems subpar. Today, after a bit of sleuthing, I found that my computer is not using my dedicated graphics card, but rather the integrated Intel graphics. Checking online, I was told to download the latest drivers- which I attempted. However, I was told that a supported NVIDIA GPU could not be found.

So with further delving, I made sure to check my BIOS, and there it displays "NVIDIA GFX", so I at least know the motherboard is recognizing it.

What do I do now to fix this? I'm a bit computer illiterate, so I still have a lot to learn, but I'm really stumped. I attempted to go into the NVIDIA settings and force it to use the NVIDIA graphics card, but again, it didn't recognize an NVIDIA GPU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I know my computer is capable of much more than sub 20fps on the lowest possible settings

Solution
You can find the driver you need by manually searching Nvidia's website. Here is the link for the latest driver for Win 10 64-bit: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/115491. If you are using a different OS, then download the appropriate driver.

You can check you system type by right clicking on Computer and selecting Properties or by going in the Control Panel > System and Security > System.

Once the driver has finished installing, restart the PC. Find the newly installed Nvidia Control Panel, select manage 3D settings, select the Nvidia option as the prefered GPU. With these setting the laptop will use the 960m in 3D apps such as games.

Goran_9

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
You can find the driver you need by manually searching Nvidia's website. Here is the link for the latest driver for Win 10 64-bit: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/115491. If you are using a different OS, then download the appropriate driver.

You can check you system type by right clicking on Computer and selecting Properties or by going in the Control Panel > System and Security > System.

Once the driver has finished installing, restart the PC. Find the newly installed Nvidia Control Panel, select manage 3D settings, select the Nvidia option as the prefered GPU. With these setting the laptop will use the 960m in 3D apps such as games.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS