Question (Not sure if in correct category) 4-Port KVM Switch Help

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Hello. Thought this might be best suited for the Electronics category, but wasn't sure which sub-category to post under, so posted here.

For the past several months have used a 2-Port TXR HDMI KVM Switch Button Switcher to connect two laptops to one monitor, one keyboard and one mouse, with no problem whatsoever.
When I bought it, listing said: Supports 4K x 2K 30Hz resolution, or 4K resolution, Plug and Play, No configuration required, and sure enough, plugged it in and it worked off the bat.

I then bought a "PWAY 4K HDMI KVM Switch 4-Port USB Switcher Selector" as pictured, in order to connect three laptops instead of just the two, and cannot get it to work (none will show up on monitor). It did not include the manual, cannot find one online and mfg. has not responded, but I am fairly certain I am connecting it properly (pretty straightforward).
HYrPgly.png

Any thoughts or ideas, please? I had to buy a micro USB 5v Charger separately but it seems to power up just fine although power light is red (logically shouldn't it be green, or am I over-thinking it)?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Are you using any adapters/converters on the HDMI connection to the actual display?

Thank you for the reply.

No adapters.
HDMI to HDMI cable (--> KVM output to monitor input)
HDMI to HDMI cables (-->KVM to Laptops);
Small one that I do not know the name for but I think used to be used for printers on one end and USB on other end (-->KVM to Laptops);
5v Micro USB power adapter (-->KVM to wall)

Hmmmm ... interestingly enough, I now am taking special note of what I thought were USB ports in the front where I needed to insert my mouse and keyboard receivers, but two say USB2.0 and the other two "K/M". What should go in the ones which are designated K/M?

EDIT: LOL. I GUESS K/M does indeed stand for Keyboard and Mouse. Haha. And I thought I might be on to something. :D

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
See this Amazon listing, it should how the cables should be connected. Can you verify proper connection?

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Supported-Sharing-Keyboard-Output/dp/B07SR71DSN

Thank you for that image. As far as I can tell, yes; everything is connected properly (as shown). The only difference between that model and mine is that the power input on the switch is a micro USB Port. I'm wondering if the one I have is also a "1080P Supported" model, and if that makes any difference with the monitor I am trying to connect it to and the resolution I use (3440x1440 on an Acer Predator Z35P 1800R QHD 2560x1080 NVIDIA G-SYNC Z35P-BMIPHZ)?

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
You could try a different display just to see if that makes a difference (you could even use a HDTV to test with). Your power adapter could also be too weak for the need. Have you tried an alternate power source?
Thought of trying it with another display but the only viable one, without having to move lots of things around, is a large screen TV where the inputs are super difficult to get to, so have not done it yet. Haha. Never had a power source issue until very recently so did not even know that could be a problem, but you may be correct! I specified 'wall' previously, but it is actually connected to an extension cord that is then connected to a power strip that it then shares with a few other potential power 'drainers'. Will test this now. Thank you.

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
You could try ...

Pretty sure it is the KVM Switch. Finally connected it to another display - and it's useless. Same darn thing: NOTHING. Display remains on "No Signal" and laptops do not detect a monitor other than the 'built-in' one.

Thanks for all your help in troubleshooting nonetheless!

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Agreed. Sounds like the device is defective.

Actually, NOT sure how, but got it to kind of work. Connected tester laptop to the new monitor as last resort then other stuff. Stuck on resolution issues now which I just posted about but it is awaiting moderation I guess. I am going batcrazy over this. :D