Notebook battery is not charging yet powers up without battery.

dpark34

Estimable
Oct 13, 2015
I have a strange problem with my Toshiba U925T notebook.

When AC adapter is plugged in, orange power light comes on for a second or two then goes off and does nothing. It doesn't power on.

Other than testing it with Voltmeter I have the followings checked thus far:

1. Tried replacing with a new battery(it's internal btw), same thing happens.
2. Removed the battery, plugged the cord, it powers on and everything works just fine.
3. Tried holding the power button for more than 30 seconds(without the battery in).

One occasion with the battery back in and adapter plugged in, the orange light(power) blinked for like 3 times and went off. Then afterwards I plugged in tried again, orange light just comes on for a sec or two and just goes off (not blinking at all thereafter)

I remember this first happened while I was plugging the AC adapter jack to back of the notebook and felt something different although I couldn't tell exactly what it was. maybe there was a short charge of static or the plug end of the jack was slightly moistened due to weather being really kinda humid that day.

I'm a newbie at troubleshooting electronics and stuff so anyone with any helpful guide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

Do try to uninstall/reinstall the ACPI battery complaint in Device Manager that might be causing this problem.
- Press the Windows key + R then type devmgmt.msc in the run box that should appear and press OK
- Right click on the ACPI microsoft battery complaint and select Uninstall.
- Once removed, reboot the laptop and it should reinstall that driver automatically once rebooted.
- If that doesn't work try to change the Power Options of your laptop.
- Lastly is to try another AC adapter with your laptop same one to test either it's with the adapter or the motherboard.

dpark34

Estimable
Oct 13, 2015
Thanks for the ACPI reset guide. I didn't even know there was a battery option in the device manager.

I uninstalled/reinstalled it but it just won't charge still and won't power on with the the battery connected.

Ac adapter may have gone bad.

ok, is it possible to still have a bad AC adapter even when it can power up the notebook without the battery?

Just wondering whether AC adapter's function as a charging of battery and powering on of system are separate or related.

sunniest

Estimable
Dec 5, 2015
Dave

I have the exact same problem with my Toshiba e55t-a5320. The laptop abruptly shut off while working one day and didn't start again. When plugged in, the orange LED will come on for 2-3 secs and goes off. I used another power adapter from another toshiba laptop, but it didn't help either. My power adapter works with that other Toshiba laptop and also charges its battery without any problems. If I remove the battery and connect the power adapter, it just works. So the issue is not with the power adapter. I thought it was probably a bad battery (though the laptop is just 1 year old). I purchased a brand new battery and replaced the old one. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. The orange light came up briefly and laptop is not powering on. So the problem is not with the battery either. I tried uninstalling ACPI; it didn't help.

I don't know if there is a fuse or something that is suppose to route the power (when plugged in) through the battery which has gone bad. Or if the mother board itself is defective.

I ended up using the laptop with the battery disconnected. The machine is just 1 year old and I'm frustrated. Never going to buy Toshiba again.

CiB0rG

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

If none of that works, get a new battery. I've been through that on 2 different laptops and both times it was a dead battery.