Notebook for application developer and do I need an SSD?

yschermer

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014
The budget I can spent is €800, which I believe is more than enough for me, so I don't mind suggestions of budget laptops of €400-€500.

I simply will use the notebook for Visual Studio, text editors, maybe Photoshop as well.

The question that is mostly bothering me is, should I get an SSD or not?
I have heard it will significantly help with compiling times in VS.

So far, my thoughts were going to the Lenovo G505s. Unfortunately, it seems to be a troublesome laptop to perform an SSD upgrade on.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Solution

A SSD is like a super fast HDD with no moving parts.It would only make sense that VS performance would increase if there is a lot of read/write access taking place. "Compiling" is typically a CPU bound task so I can't see how an SSD would improve VS's performance.

Perhaps if you went to an official VS forum you can get a better answer for that specific application.

I would say get an asus laptop from the n series. They are very good for their multimedia laptops, I know this as I own one and have been using it to develop games so it should be more than sufficient for you. Some models do come with SSDs, you have to look at the ones that do.

A SSD is like a super fast HDD with no moving parts.It would only make sense that VS performance would increase if there is a lot of read/write access taking place. "Compiling" is typically a CPU bound task so I can't see how an SSD would improve VS's performance.

Perhaps if you went to an official VS forum you can get a better answer for that specific application.

Solution

Littlesackninja

Estimable
Jun 15, 2014

SSD's are nothing like "super fast hdd's with no moving parts" They write to a transistor and then the controller reads what state the transistor is in.
Where as a hdd is a spinning platter with a read and a write arm, which indents a microscopic mark into the platter.
The only similarity is they are both ways of storing data.

Ssd's will increase load times for software and documents such as a after effects project and after effects itself if they are on the ssd, It will also help with 3D programs with a lot of polygons and render times.

I know what a SSD is. What I provided is a very simple analogy so that that OP understands what it is and has no bearing on actual processing power.