notebook TRIPLE CHANNEL? with hm87 chipset and a 24GB of RAM (3x8) with i7-4810MQ

Rbeck

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
I will buy a notebook with hm87 chipset and a 24GB of RAM (3x8) with i7-4810MQ. IT WILL FUNCTIONAL IN A TRIPLE CHANE, the notebook have just 3 slots for RAM
24 GB DDR3 (1600 MHZ) / ( 3x 8 GB)

Solution

Intel platforms use channel-interleaved memory addressing. The first 16GiB will be dual-channel interleaved, while the third 8GiB will be single channel. This is of course assuming that the notebook doesn't have additional memory soldered to the motherboard as is sometimes the case

breakfastdude

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Nope, that will not run on triple channel. The only chipset that supported triple channel memory was X58, and that's a desktop part released ~4 years ago. It just means it has three RAM slots, but AFAIK it will run on some kind of hybrid dual channel (dual channel for the first 16GB, and then single for the remaining).

Rbeck

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014

So It will run on a SINGLE channel with this configuration?

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Intel platforms use channel-interleaved memory addressing. The first 16GiB will be dual-channel interleaved, while the third 8GiB will be single channel. This is of course assuming that the notebook doesn't have additional memory soldered to the motherboard as is sometimes the case

Solution