Notebook vs Netbook/Laptop which to buy?

Dianonds

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hello. I know only VERY basic computer info. I am very naive and limited in the knowledge of computers, laptops and the like. this is why i am asking for help. I currently have an acer aspire 5920, and I am looking to get a new laptop/netbook, but not sure which to choose. When I first got my laptop I did not entirely know what I would be using it for. Now, I am studying for my diploma and have a slightly better understanding of what I will be using it for. I have found this set of FAQ to help you help me. :)

1. What is your budget?
No more than $1,000.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" screen or less.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
dont mind.. within reason.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?
My old laptop has always had what I believe to be a faulty battery (does not last more than 1 hour unplugged) but as I did not understand how they worked I thought this was normal and therefore never claimed on the warranty (which is now void). As a result of this I have never travelled with my laptop working "on the move". I believe I would need quite a long battery life (2-4 hours?)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes.. but all of my games are quite old and not generally supported by current windows OS. Also.. games are not my priority.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I will mostly be using the laptop for my studies - web browsing, PDF reading, emails, MS Word etc..

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
again, not sure about what I need, but at the moment I have a "160HDD" that is split into 2 - i do/did not like that, and would rather it be in one big HDD.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
no

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
as long as i can

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dont really know what that is.. I use CD/DVDs .. I play music while I am studying.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I have been told acer and samsung are the better brands at the moment but ultimately I have no preference to which brand i buy from.

13. What country do you live in?
Australia.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
not that I can think of... as I said I do not know much about computers though.
EDIT: I forgot to mention I am looking at getting mobile broadband as well.. this must be factored in I suppose.

shwetanshu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
In Dell I have two recommendation for you

Processor 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3517U Processor (4MB cache, up to 3.0 GHz)
Operating System Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit (English)
Display 13.3"(33.78cm) HD WLED True-Life (1366x768)
Memory2 8GB2 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
Hard Drive 500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Video Card Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Warranty 1Yr Carry-In Service after Remote Diagnosis
Advertised System Weight 1.8kg3

999$

Processor 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i3-2367M Processor (3MB cache 1.4 GHz, with UMA Graphics Card)
Operating System Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit (English)
Display 14.0" HD WLED TrueLife (1366x768)
Memory2 4GB2 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
Hard Drive 128GB Solid State Drive
Video Card Intel® HD Graphics 3000/4000 (3000 for i3 and 4000 for i5/i7 processor)
Optical Drive 9.5mm SATA tray load DVD+/-RW
Warranty 1Yr Carry-In Service after Remote Diagnosis
Advertised System Weight 1.87kg

You can find both of them here :http://www.dell.com/au/p/laptops.aspx?c=au&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn#!facets=42444~0~193084,42236~0~192302&p=1

These were lightweight notebooks.If you can have notebooks between 2-3 kg you can find many of them here :http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Laptops-Notebooks-/177/i.html?Screen%2520Size=15%2522&LH_ItemCondition=1000&LH_Price=500..1%2C000%40c&_trkparms=65%253A2%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_dmpt=AU_comp_laptop&_mPrRngCbx=1&_sc=1&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1

Most of these laptops have top end configuration and may have features you will never use.In that case you can settle for 600-700$ ones with i5 3rd generation which will be more than suffcient for you.If you have any doubts among those laptops please feel free to ask again.

TRENDING THREADS