Notebooks Lenovo AMD FX-7500 vs Intel i5

minolas

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
Hello! I have a big question mark. Which one of these laptops is better? (same price)

Notebook / Laptop Lenovo 15.6'' B50-70, FHD
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-4210U 1.7GHz Haswell
4GB RAM, 500GB
Radeon R5 M230 2GB

or

Notebook / Laptop Lenovo 15.6" IdeaPad Z50-75, FHD
Procesor AMD Quad Core FX-7500 2.10GHz Kaveri
4GB RAM, 1TB
Radeon R5 M255 2GB

Solution
It is based on how CPUs are designed. Intel's CPUs have very powerful cores that can execute a lot more instructions each 1Hz than AMD CPUs can. Thus an Intel CPU with lower clockspeed can outperform a higher clockspeed AMD APU / CPU. AMD tries to improve the performance of their APUs / CPUs by adding more cores and that can improve performance as long as the program / games can take advantage of more than 2 cores. AMD's APU (CPU + integrated graphic cores) have less processing power compared to their CPUs (the desktop FX series).

The below performance benchmarks for Far Cry 4 in desktop gaming rigs illustrates what I am talking about. Intel's mobile CPUs are basically the same as their desktop CPUs, but with lower clockspeeds and a...
It is based on how CPUs are designed. Intel's CPUs have very powerful cores that can execute a lot more instructions each 1Hz than AMD CPUs can. Thus an Intel CPU with lower clockspeed can outperform a higher clockspeed AMD APU / CPU. AMD tries to improve the performance of their APUs / CPUs by adding more cores and that can improve performance as long as the program / games can take advantage of more than 2 cores. AMD's APU (CPU + integrated graphic cores) have less processing power compared to their CPUs (the desktop FX series).

The below performance benchmarks for Far Cry 4 in desktop gaming rigs illustrates what I am talking about. Intel's mobile CPUs are basically the same as their desktop CPUs, but with lower clockspeeds and a less powerful integrated graphics core. As mentioned before, AMD's APUs are less powerful than their CPUs; even though AMD released the Pile Driver generation desktop FX series CPU back in 2012, they are still more power than any of their APUs including the recently released mobile FX APUs which is based on the Kaveri APU architecture. Techspot did not even bother to include desktop APUs due to their lower performance.

CPU_01.png

Solution
The following benchmark for Batman Arkham Origins back in 2013. There is a single AMD APU in that benchmark; the A10-5700 Trinity generation APU (two generations old by now). It's performance is less than the Bulldozer generation desktop FX series CPUs released back in 2011 and it is also less than the Phenom II generation CPU that the FX series replaced. The only AMD CPU that provides better performance than the Core i3-3220 (two generations old by now) is the FX-8350.

There are people who complain about the price of Intel desktop CPU being higher than AMD desktop CPUs, well... this particular benchmark shows why that is the case.

CPU_01.png

Bobcat86

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015

I have both a Elitebook AMD A10 7350b, which is the same chip as the FX, and an Lenovo U430 Ultrabook with an Intel i5 4210U. Multithreaded CPU performance between the two is basically the same. Heavy multitasking appears to be better on my AMD laptop. In single threaded operations in which the i5 is much faster. The GPU is much better on AMD. Even an older A8-5550/5557M can actually keep up with a i5 4210 in heavy multitasking (when turbo is properly utilized).

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/04/fast-but-compromised-gigabytes-amd-powered-mini-gaming-pc-reviewed/2/
^In this link, the a8 5557m is just 6 percent slower than a 4250u. The FX 7500 should be a bit faster than the a8 5557m, where as the 4250u is roughly equal to the 4210u.