NPD: Android is Top Selling U.S. Smartphone OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
awesome, maybe everyone will get the hint and actually make/advertise they have an android app instead of catering only to iphones. so sick of hearing it considering how many android phones are in the market.

daveola

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
Well NO SH_T! How many phones is the Android OS used in? At least 20?
And the iOS in how many? 1 So why wouldn't it sell more?
More useless news

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
This is not surprising AT ALL. With the iPhone locked to one carrier, what the heck did we all expect??? What did Apple expect? Android has MULTIPLE DEVICES on virtually every carrier! Many have been clamoring relentlessly for an iPhone or at least something like it with decent functionality that's easy to use but without being on AT&T. AT&T has ZERO service in many areas I travel to where T-Mobile and Verizon both have coverage. The obvious choice for the millions in this category, or with Sprint perhaps, is to get an Android phone.

1. Easy to use (easier than Windows Mobile at least)
2. Huge app library, with many cheap/free apps
3. Multimedia functions
4. Exchange
5. Vast showcasing of devices fitting many different lifestyles (which Apple seriously lacks!) on every major network.

As a consumer I enthusiastically celebrate a new contender's very serious (and successful) arrival!!

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I have to agree with daveola on this one. When you have a half dozen of the top phone makers all producing multiple models of phones and releasing them to pretty much every single carrier there is, if they didn't at some point overtake the single company that only refreshes the single model of phone once a year then there is something very, very wrong.

If Android(as in what 20+ phones now combined) did not outsell the iPhone (4th generation but only two actively sold now) if would qualify as the biggest flop in the history of cellular phones.

But also they are comparing all Android (OS) devices sold to this point against just iPhone numbers and not iOS numbers. Dell Streak type "way too big to really be a primary phone" sales should not be counted as a phone sale for Android. Or you should count iPod and iPad sales also in Apples total as they can do VOIP calls etc and are about as useful as one of those other devices as a everyday phone.

Windows Mobile user here so I don't care which of the two "wins" in the end personally, but people seam to lack all common sense when they trumpet these numbers. 20 beating 1, yawn!!! now if it was 1 beating 20 the other side just might have something worth talking about.

fivewall

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]I have to agree with daveola on this one. When you have a half dozen of the top phone makers all producing multiple models of phones and releasing them to pretty much every single carrier there is, if they didn't at some point overtake the single company that only refreshes the single model of phone once a year then there is something very, very wrong. If Android(as in what 20+ phones now combined) did not outsell the iPhone (4th generation but only two actively sold now) if would qualify as the biggest flop in the history of cellular phones. But also they are comparing all Android (OS) devices sold to this point against just iPhone numbers and not iOS numbers. Dell Streak type "way too big to really be a primary phone" sales should not be counted as a phone sale for Android. Or you should count iPod and iPad sales also in Apples total as they can do VOIP calls etc and are about as useful as one of those other devices as a everyday phone. Windows Mobile user here so I don't care which of the two "wins" in the end personally, but people seam to lack all common sense when they trumpet these numbers. 20 beating 1, yawn!!! now if it was 1 beating 20 the other side just might have something worth talking about.[/citation]

Well, that 1 was beating everyone else (smartphone wise) up until now. Winmo also has a crap ton of devices on a crap ton of networks and apple has been crushing them. Also the dell streak? is that even out? and if so, I can't imagine anyone buying them, maybe I'm wrong but I see that thing going the way of the Kin.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Actually switching to either the HTC Incredible or Motorola Droid X if it's available tomorrow when I stop by the Verizon stoore and cancel my AT&T contract. AT&T asked why I decided not to re-up and I told them flat out "It was because I joined with you because 2 years ago you kept up with the best phones, and now you brush the entire market aside to promote the iPhone."

firedust

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I think the main reason android has sold so well is because every fourth commercial on TV is about how awesome they are. I can't imagine how much they must have spent on their ad campaign.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I just went from a 1st gen iPhone (got for free) to a Samsung Galaxy S. Got it last night and I must say... it's friggin awesome! I'm so glad I can delete iTunes and get all the Apple shitware off my Windows 7 PC.

unrealpinky

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
This is simply history repeating itself. Apple lost out on the pc market to IBM not because they had a crappy product, but rather IBM had the foresight to license their pc decades ago. So pc's dominated the market because of the multitudes of companies adopting the license and manufacturing PCs. I guess Steve never learned from history.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Not surprised. I don't give a damn about Apple, but I'm a bit sad to see RIM lose market share, because I think they have a really good product that focuses on the important parts of a phone - security and usability.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
this is a comparison of OS'es, not devices. Being able to put an open OS on more than one device. That's why an open OS will always be better. Heck, even if the license would be given to multiple manufacturers that would allow for bigger market share. But noooo, Apple has to hold on tight on everything. Well, here you go.

hufnagel

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
In case you didn't know. Google charges no license fee to any smartphone manufacturer for using it's GNU, open source, Android OS. So while it's quickly becoming the most used mobile OS, Google makes no money from it directly.

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]daveola[/nom]BREAKING NEWS! "GM sells more vehicles this year than Aston Martin"You don't say.......[/citation]
wow, you are so ignorant. So you compare Android to GM and Apple to Aston Martin... hahahaha. LMAO!!!
With an Aston Martin you pay more, but you also get way more. With Apple you pay way more and get way less.

This is what you should have said.

BREAKING NEWS!

At $20,000 each, the Toyota camry outsells the Kia Rio!

No-brainer!

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
The future is clearly iOS and Android's. RIM, Symbian and Windows mobile are done.

I think the final market ratio will be 30% iOS, 60% Android and 10% others. Apps market will be evenly divided as iPhone is also boosted by iPods.

Status
Not open for further replies.