NSA Implies Anonymous Plan to Attack U.S. Power Grid

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
They're gonna cause rolling brown outs and jack up electricity prices. Then blame it on "anonymous". That's what they did during Enron days. These trolls sure are good at trolling us.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
This sounds like government spin in order to target anonymous..... I mean they could declare them terrorists and give homeland security a target to justify its existence.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i hope they do it....just to show the US how arrogant we are....our infrastructure is very ancients...we are to busy helping everyone else, because of that we are empty handed and we can't fix out own problem....the leaders of the country are such idiots

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yawn, more Inquirer style reporting from Tom's ... what's next? Man turns into speaking elephant? Obama was abducted by Aliens? Wow, such journalism from Tom's. I'm sure I'll get banned for this, any type of comments towards really stupid journalism get's one a temporary ban ... but doesn't seem like I'd be missing much.

Is this the same Anonymous that promised to take down FaceBook last month ... hmm ... never happened.

Taking down the power grid is somehow "standing up for something"? What exactly? For one, most financial institutions (including the Wall Street) have backup diesel generators that fire up as soon as the power goes out ... so what good could this possibly have?? Other than piss off home owners?

I realize the US government is horribly corrupted by corporate interests/lobbing, but no one is really doing anything "pro-active" to stop this ... taking down a power gird is like farting in a Jacuzzi ... not noticed!

Educating people is the ONLY possible approach -- given that only 5% of the US population have actually been educated (from creditable university) what do you expect? There are many real ways to change this government that are 1000X more effective than stupid antics from the "occupy bums" and the "anonymous morons".

Your only weapon is getting votes, getting people educated, and getting people to move away from their ancient religious beliefs and stop the wall of ignorance called "Faith" ... people don't need faith (it does more harm than good), they need facts, a positive direction, pro-active, and stop being lazy SOBs, and most importantly get an education so they can at least read/write.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Ah, here we go. NSA blames anonymous, one step toward naming them as Terrorists, one step closer to the US declaring open season on them. Doesn't this scare anyone out there?

The US govt are not boneheads despite what we think of them. IMHO, there is only one reason for this - to name them terrorists. As terrorists, their legal rights in the US would be greatly diminished.

Its about time, speaking as a US citizen, that we move on from 9/11 and the mentality that surrounded it.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]monsta[/nom]Labelling them as terrorists is a sneaky move, and making up stories like this makes the NSA look really stupid.Another FAKE...[/citation]
Personally, I don't think the NSA cares at all about looking stupid.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]I feel like they are planning on disrupting the US power grids themselves and are preemptively painting Anonymous as the scapegoat to justify whatever ridiculous laws they will implement as a result.[/citation]
As long as NSA have the mass media by their side they'll succceed.

Idiocracy.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Knowing Anonymous' absurd intentions (shut off the internet? Really?) I wouldn't be surprised...[/citation]

Anonymous has issued an unambiguous denial of any involvement with such a plan. "GlobalBlackOut is another Fake Operation," the group said on their Twitter feed.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Wev'e heard some very stupid crap coming from the NSA, but this one may top the list of their lies. It's unfortunate that most people probably don't see through the deception of those in power. This lethargy may end with genocide. Greed has taken a hold of us... Can it be stopped?

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
"and likely would bristle at comparisons to claims made in 2003 that Iraq possessed weapons of Mass Destruction."

So Anon shut down the power grid on their own people?

That comparison doesn't make sense...

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Little FYI, The Patriot Act made speaking negatively about the president (ex: "I hate the president") the act of terrorism, classifying any U.S. Citizen (as it was written as such) a threat to the United States of America. Guess how many "voters" fought against that? So how is voting useful again?

Not mention how many little people know about Project Echelon (thank you formed President Clinton :sarcasm: )

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
ahah this is so lovely. like anonymous is somekind of organization. there's no leaders. nsa can catch anyone that anonymous will still be apple to attack. they have to arrest millions in several countries to have some effect.
about the internet blackout that is a lie. a complete lie. maybe created by anonymous. fake ops are a huge part of missleading people. it's a lie because anonymous "work" through internet it was a shoot in the foot to do something like that.
and an NSA director saying these kind of stuff is clearly now that anonymous is making big damages. he would be better to shut up.
expect more to happen

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Don't see why people are still complaining that Faccebook wasn't taken down by Anon. They made a public statement they had no intention, just like they did with this (bringing down the internet)
Since there is no face to the collective, ANYONE can just make a random video with Anon.'s usual "expect us" and other lines and make it seem believable they plan to do this.
And it's not the first time Anon. was blamed for something they didn't do, to give a specific example, the PSN incident.
They did D-o-S attacks on PSN they did NOT steal people's information, the sites that were hacked, stolen info, ect were mostly from sections of Sony's online service that were already being shut down, 3-5 days before the attack, sony "laid off" thousands of workers that managed many parts of their servers/site/ect. Sony blames Anon. when it is very possible it was an inside job due to revenge. Anon. even made public statements against doing anything beyond D-o-S attacks. This Anon. thing is getting ridiculous -_-

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
I think it's just the NSA grasping at straws in the the name of "budget justification". Al Quaeda doesn't really scare anyone any more so they are latching on to another faceless shadowy organization as the bogeyman of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS