Nvidia Believes Tegra 3 Tablets Will Eventually Hit $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I've noticed something. Almost eveyone on Tom's Hardware is a cheapass. All I ever see is bitching about SSDs being too expensive, tablets being too expensive, etc..

If you're living in your parents' house and have no source of income, nobody expects you to buy this kind of stuff. Stop complaining about cost, it's getting old. Especially on enterprise class SSDs, it's like complaining that a Lamborghini is too expensive for your first car.

No shit, Sherlock.

zzz_b

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I have to agree with the price drop but... at the same time there will be out much better tablets for the $500 price tag.
Technology evolves exponentially, so time shortens between new product arrivals. By the time the price drops drastically on any device, even if not obsolete, it is out-dated.

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
A tegra 3 tablet to drop to $300 is not news, but the question is when. His remarks I think are a bit too optimistic. I think realistically it'll probably be when tegra 4 comes out or next black friday.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I've noticed something. Almost eveyone on Tom's Hardware is a cheapass. All I ever see is bitching about SSDs being too expensive, tablets being too expensive, etc..If you're living in your parents' house and have no source of income, nobody expects you to buy this kind of stuff. Stop complaining about cost, it's getting old. Especially on enterprise class SSDs, it's like complaining that a Lamborghini is too expensive for your first car. No shit, Sherlock.[/citation]
I make MORE than DOUBLE the average income in America. I have a laptop and a desktop plus my wife and I both have work laptops. So I will buy one if it's dirt cheap but other than that I'd rather use a laptop. Which is why I said what I did. Not because it costs too much. But I do agree with you that plenty of people complain about pricing especially when it's a product that isn't marketed tward the general public but to corporations that can afford and have the need for enterprise hardware.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I honestly think they have to. 500$ for the transformer prime or ipad2 is just too damn much. At 500$ I can get a decent i5 laptop that'll do everything I need the pad to do, and arguably do it better. I think amazon and b+n got it right with the $200ish pads.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Tablets are still basically just entertainment toys... a PS3 / 360 can do more and are less expensive... tablet makers should understand that[/citation]Come on, you can't be serious!
Talk about comparing apples to pork chops.
Let's see you sit on the crapper with an Xbox and a TV.
There are a lot of things a tablet does better than a console too.

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Come on, you can't be serious!Talk about comparing apples to pork chops.Let's see you sit on the crapper with an Xbox and a TV.There are a lot of things a tablet does better than a console too.[/citation]

Mmmm, I love me some pork chops.

What was this supposed to be about again?

Oh yeah. I'll take an apple after my pork chops, I'm starving!

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I've noticed something. Almost eveyone on Tom's Hardware is a cheapass. All I ever see is bitching about SSDs being too expensive, tablets being too expensive, etc..If you're living in your parents' house and have no source of income, nobody expects you to buy this kind of stuff. Stop complaining about cost, it's getting old. Especially on enterprise class SSDs, it's like complaining that a Lamborghini is too expensive for your first car. No shit, Sherlock.[/citation]

No, tablets are supposed to be cheap mass marketed crap. But at $500- 600-800 it is an expensive toy. Because tablets are nothing but toys. Let's say that I would like to use it like a book reader and if I carry it everywhere with me the risk to lose it or break it is very high.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
BTW. I've tried multiple tablets and honestly they are very disappointing except the iPad 2. The rest is.. meh. The do not offer much but cost just as my Core i5 with AMD graphics that let's me play even Crysis. While at the same time the Asus Transformer has a crappy screen (to low resolution) and is slow in displaying PDF documents and at that resolution the fonts do not look so fine. My cheap Nokia phone displays text much better (almost "retina" resolution at 1/4 of iPhone price and released long before the "retina" joke).

The sales figures of android tablets and the dropping iPad sales show just that that most of the rich iDiots got one already. How do they (the manufacturers) intend to sell hundreds of millions of tablets (per year acc. to the market analysts) at these prices with these sub optimal features... I have no idea.

evan_

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I can believe that... Tegra 3, in its current form, won't be anything special by the summer. There will be 28nm alternatives (tegra 3 is still 40nm) by competitors, and maybe even by nvidia themselves. 28nm means way way better (lower) heat and power requirements and hence better mobile devices in all aspects (battery life, performance, weight, heat).

I personally don't care much about quad core tegra 3, except that they have fixed multimedia performance from tegra 2 (which was castrated). I'd take a next generation speedy dual core instead. And have exceptional battery life and more performance than I require from a tablet.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]aaronstyle[/nom]Mmmm, I love me some pork chops.What was this supposed to be about again?Oh yeah. I'll take an apple after my pork chops, I'm starving![/citation]

You can do that with your laptop and netbook which are much more powerful than a tablet.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Prices of all tablets have been artificially blown the past years, so much, that we kind of got used to their higher price!
The first eeepc netbooks had a starting price aimed for the $200, and a street price of $300.
They had processors based on 65nm technology. Current Atom technology is based on half that size; meaning it performs almost twice as fast, while still maintaining it's low power profile.
It also means that the smaller manufacturing results in cheaper chips!
They've been selling those chips (terga, intel Atom) much higher in the beginning, but once the price of those chips drops to an acceptable level, we will see the tablet prices falling for another $150 (even a tegra 3 tablet, at the end of it's slope, can be sold for $200 with profit!)

Status
Not open for further replies.