nvidia gtx 965m not being detected

Daniel_72

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015
i just got a new nvidia gtx 965m graphics card i put it into my system and it wasnt being detected by my laptop and i have switchable graphics and my mother board is a msi 1762 which i was told was campatible idk if its because my bios isnt new enough or what but i have installed a clean install of windows 8.1 pro onto my laptop and i went to device manager only to see that my intel graphics was the only one being detected and i cant seem to figure out why that is its a brand new graphics card and my laptop is compatable so whats going on

Solution
Make sure you have both driver installed. In my limited experience with optimus based laptop the system refuse to detect nvidia gpu as long as intel driver not installed first. If you try to install nvidia driver first the driver will report that hardware is not found or something like that.

Daniel_72

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015

well i saw both the basic video driver and the intel graphics but no nvidia or anything else for graphics and when i have the card in i cant use my intel graphics i looked into the property and i see this This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Daniel_72

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015
ok i think my system is reading my nvidia graphics card as MS basic video driver because when i pulled it out of my laptop only the intel hd graphics are on but when i put in my nvidia graphics card both my intel hd graphic and MS basic video drive are shown but my intel shows a yellow triangle so i think its not reading my nvidia as the right thing

renz496

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Make sure you have both driver installed. In my limited experience with optimus based laptop the system refuse to detect nvidia gpu as long as intel driver not installed first. If you try to install nvidia driver first the driver will report that hardware is not found or something like that.

Solution

heatshiver

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
Well, it should definitely not say it is a MS basic video driver. Device Manager should show it as a NVIDIA graphics adapter. Do you have NVIDIA drivers installed? When you go to NVIDIA's website, do you tell it to automatically grab drivers (this should tell you if it can find the graphics card or not).

Did your laptop comes with Windows 8/8.1, or did it originally come with Windows 7? Check MSI's site to see if they have drivers all meant for Windows 8. I would also update everything you can (i.e. BIOS, Video Drivers, etc.).

My main wonder is if you need to modify some NVIDIA inf files in order for it to be seen properly. Not sure that would be the solution, but I know if your laptop wasn't meant for that graphics card, it may not have information for that card in the driver files.

Your laptop is a few years old, and the GTX 965M was introduced this year, so I imagine they have not updated anything on the MSI site for that card to be supported properly (and may never).

If you reply and the information above checks out, I can give you some help on the inf modding...

Daniel_72

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015

clicked the wrong thing not the solution one but i have the intel hd installed long before anything else

Daniel_72

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015

well my laptop should be compatable and i know the bios and ec build are probably outdated but i dont know how to update those without a flashdrive but i know somethings up because i have a older graphics card and nvidia does detect it but when i throw in the new one my intel graphics hd gets a yelllow triangle and the basic graphics card thing pops up so i know something is going on when i have it put in