NY Teachers Fired for Inappropriate Facebooking

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]bikerman7502002[/nom]As a returning student and future teacher (within 2 years), Social networking in one way or another is already part of most school systems that can afford enough computers. My teacher education program consists of a large group of students advancing at once, and facebook is the best way to communicate as a group with each other. The difference is that between teachers and students, the communication must be set up such that all contact is open to parents and supervisors to view. Facebook is not ideal for this purpose, but other dedicated social sites are around for this purpose and students do benefit educationally due to more access to teachers (for educational purposes only, obviously).[/citation]
Piss poor excuse that social networking is that important. To say that teachers need social networking with their students is just BS! Just as bad as saying that email is the only way to instant message people...

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
The law is "anyone in a position of authority" here in Michigan, for anyone between the ages of 16 and 18. Needless to say, its up to a judge.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
man, when i was in school, things like "social networking" heck even "email" wasn't ever an issue.... god i'm old... everyone was running windows 95 on a novell network.

Course if i'm a teacher today, i'll have a twitter and facebook account and have status updates like " Pop quiz today, better study" or " papers all graded, you all failed LOL j/k"

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]Piss poor excuse that social networking is that important. To say that teachers need social networking with their students is just BS! Just as bad as saying that email is the only way to instant message people...[/citation]

My sister's HS just started requiring students to turn in homework on weekends, online.

If you ask me, that's just messed. Kids already spend 6 1/2 hours in class every day during the workweek, to require them to turn stuff in on their days off is just overkill.

I say the school districts need to stop latching onto the web for everything as if it is the solution for their lackluster workers. If they want grades to improve get better teachers.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
All the bad and negative publicity against FB re-assures my belief to stay away from it. Wish all my friends are not on it.

jaygee02

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]My sister's HS just started requiring students to turn in homework on weekends, online.If you ask me, that's just messed. Kids already spend 6 1/2 hours in class every day during the workweek, to require them to turn stuff in on their days off is just overkill. I say the school districts need to stop latching onto the web for everything as if it is the solution for their lackluster workers. If they want grades to improve get better teachers.[/citation]

Funny, the teachers already spend 8 hours a day at school, so asking them to do ANYTHING school related outside that time would also be overkill surely? Guess the kids will never get their assignments marked, as that would involve said overkill.
Get over it. In the real world, people work 8+ hours a day, and often there will be overtime or things that need done outside those hours. That's life, kids should get used to it.

nfxprime2kx

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Course if i'm a teacher today, i'll have a twitter and facebook account and have status updates like " Pop quiz today, better study" or " papers all graded, you all failed LOL j/k"

nfxprime2kx

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Sorry for that last post...

[citation][nom]kingssman[/nom]man, when i was in school, things like "social networking" heck even "email" wasn't ever an issue.... god i'm old... everyone was running windows 95 on a novell network.Course if i'm a teacher today, i'll have a twitter and facebook account and have status updates like " Pop quiz today, better study" or " papers all graded, you all failed LOL j/k"[/citation]

Funniest thing I've read so far.

Now, the real quesiton is - what if the daughters Mom thinks your hot? Is that too taboo to pursue?

G

I think this is a clear black and white issue with no room for gray. Teachers should not be allowed to communicate with their students in any way on Facebook. With that said, some 'bad' teachers will always find a way to circumvent any policy or restrictions that might be placed on them. ‘Good' teachers will be smart enough to stay away regardless. The slope on this one is just too slippery.

Clay Boggess
http://www.BigEventFundraising.com

Status
Not open for further replies.