NYPD Creating Mobile Street Scanners for Concealed Weapons

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blingbling

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Sir, we apologize. Our intuition was way off. THAT isn't a gun as we can now clearly see. But, oddly enough you seem happy to see us.

ccx

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
[citation][nom]lord captivus[/nom]I dont have anything to hide...do you?[/citation]

My Smith & Wesson. Dont leave the house without it.

gpj

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mcvf[/nom]I thought that people had right to carry a weapon for their protection in U.S, but I guess I was wrong. Even from this article we can deduce conclusion having weapon = being suspicious and dangerous.[/citation]

The NYC Police Department has the right to deny concealed weapons permits (which apparently they almost always do) even though it's legal in New York State. They employ the "may-issue" permit strategy where the state says it's ok, but local jurisdictions may impost their own conditions on the approval process.

So from that perspective, this is an enforcement issue of an existing laws. Not saying I agree with violating privacy, but the only way to see if someone is hiding a gun is to stop and ask them, or scan them without their knowledge!

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I am assuming that the longer the range they try the more power this scanner would need, which could cause some potentially serious health issues. Also with so many people everyday walking around New York how reliable will it actually be? I mean can it really handle scanning, just guessing here, the 1 to 10 people in its area and be able to distinguish between a weapon and a non-weapon? Too many variables that have not been answered in this article or by the NYPD and the DoD.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]us_ranger[/nom]So what happens when someone has a concealed weapons permit and is legally carrying a firearm? Guns drawn from the police while being told to get on the ground?[/citation]
Exactly. To take it a step further lets have a person in two slightly different scenarios. Each scenario has the person doing the same thing that grabs an officer's attention, but their scanner picks up a concealed weapon in one of them, how much differently will the officer(s) react now in that situation versus the other?

I have a LEGAL cc permit myself, but I would most definitely feel like an unknowingly "marked" criminal walking the streets with this tech in police cruisers - rather than what the intention of me carrying in the first place being quite the opposite.

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
[citation][nom]lord captivus[/nom]I dont have anything to hide...do you?[/citation]

That's not the point you idiot. I am not willing to give up my rights, just so easily scared and manipulated sheep can feel "safe."

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009

Hey Mr Nazi, I will or won't hide whatever I please and it is none of your, or the government's, business what I hide or don't hide. That is my constitutional right...but more importantly, it is my INALIENABLE right regardless WHAT the constitution, the cops, or jerks like you have to say about it.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
It isn't like they will be scanning everyone they see! This tool was created (From research) to see if the suspect that the police are watching are armed. In my opinion, this is a nice innovation to help protect the policemen of the U.S.

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Just because this is designed to illegally search people to see if they're armed, it doesn't mean it won't also be used to illegally look at your naked body. Perhaps it'll also be used to illegally search you for things that unscrupulous people will want to steal from you. Such people can also be cops (although they wouldn't have to be, merely controlling such a device).

Police are people too. They have the same desires, same temptations, and same inclinations as the average person, assuming they're not insane, in which case they have other inclinations and temptations as well.

No entity in this country should have this ability. Under no circumstance should these be deployed. No more scanners in airports. No future scanners in schools. No scanners for the police. These do not make people safer, they simply put money in their creator's pockets. Whether or not they induce cancer isn't even on my mind.

If the people who have them aren't permitted to strip search you, then they have no business doing so electronically. Metal detectors and chemical detectors are the way to go. It's fine to detect bombs, it's wrong to strip search people for the fun of it.

usmcs97

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
For everyone who is commenting about concealed carry permits/etc. NYC has laws that prohibit concealed carry, regardless of whether you have a NYS cc permit.

usmcs97

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
For everyone who is commenting about concealed carry permits/etc. NYC has laws that prohibit concealed carry, regardless of whether you have a NYS cc permit.

G

The constitution simply states that the government cannot randomly check to see if someone is breaking the law WITHOUT PROBABLY CAUSE. These devices would be patently unconstitutional - but this country burned the constitution long ago.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I'll make sure to direct the cops to your house to see how you like it when they are searching you even though you have nothing to hide. I also don't have anything to hide but I don't think it's right for the cops to search anything and anywhere as they please. The law needs boundaries too, since we all know power corrupts and cops get away with way too much as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.