NYPD Creating Mobile Street Scanners for Concealed Weapons

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]mcvf[/nom]I thought that people had right to carry a weapon for their protection in U.S, but I guess I was wrong. Even from this article we can deduce conclusion having weapon = being suspicious and dangerous.[/citation]
I think it is very restrictive in New York city and very hard to get one along with having to renew it and filing ballistic reports once you do get it. It has cut down on crime alot!!!! /end sarcasam

G

[citation][nom]us_ranger[/nom]So what happens when someone has a concealed weapons permit and is legally carrying a firearm? Guns drawn from the police while being told to get on the ground?[/citation]

The first words out of your mouth when dealing with an officer is that you are carrying. The scenario typically plays out a lot better for you when you do that.

If there was some way to ensure that officers had solid probable cause before using the device, or a device like it, it might be ok, assuming there are no medical concerns. I'd like to see a lot more lab testing on animals for at least another decade before any kind of deployment. Get some chimps, dress them up, give them mock weapons, and zap them on a regular basis for 10 years or so, and then come back with the publicly released results. Sorry chimps, sorry PETA... but that's the way its gotta be.

When I was a Military Police officer, over a decade ago, we had plenty of reasons to treat everyone on base with the respect you would expect for yourself. The idea that the person I am dealing with could be standing next to me in the chow hall line the next day never left my mind and guided all of my decisions as far as treatment. On a deployment, that soldier I wrote a ticket to may save my hide, or I may be living with him or her in close quarters on the top of a mountain range guarding an antenna.

If I saw someone walking down the street, in one of those huge puffy winter jackets, the type you could conceal an AK-47 and a shotgun without so much as a tiny bulge, and it was the middle of summer, I'd feel very compelled to stop and talk with the person. I'd then base a search on the conversation, attitude, and body language before even considering a search. Almost nobody wore stuff like that in the Texas heat, but it did happen from time to time. It was also an open base, and every other civilian in a pickup truck had a gun rack too.

In short, I would never rely on a piece of technology to determine for me if I should do a pat down. I think it would have the same effect as seen with people who rely on cash registers and once its unavailable, they're clueless and can't do the math. Officers relying on such a tech could see a decline in their people skills and become too reliant on the tech, and end up paying dearly for it at some point. I think its a bad idea all around b/c those in charge of the officers don't have complete control of their officers and there'd be too many abuses that never got accounted for.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]RockNRollz[/nom]It isn't like they will be scanning everyone they see! This tool was created (From research) to see if the suspect that the police are watching are armed. In my opinion, this is a nice innovation to help protect the policemen of the U.S.[/citation]
You would give your balls up for the government, wouldn't you?

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]America does not understand that PRIVACY includes within it the right to do things which the police may not like. That's part of the whole deal. This is just one more step towards the destruction of the USA. It is a horrible country and I am glad I left.[/citation]
We thank you for leaving.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Quite a decrepit idea. Imagine all the perverts that will flock to the police profession, not to mention the rampant increase in cancers in the population.

elbert

Distinguished
If it spots a criminal or near a scene of a committed crime its fine to check all guns. If its just a means to get everyone's guns tho its not right. Law abiding citizens have the right to protect themselves.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]spasmolytic46[/nom]If this will make cops sterile, shorten their lifespan, and give them a long suffering death of cancer, I'll support this.[/citation]

Id prefer to see them go with a rope but thats still something I can support!

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
The more gun control laws you pass the less law abiding citizens will have them. Criminals don't care if they break the law to get a gun or carry the gun, crap like this won't deter them in the least.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
all you guys claiming your rights are being violated have hit the nail on the head.
this is an intrusion of privacy. you do have the right to walk the streets without being molested. sum1 peeking through your clothes is a violation of that right.
if they scan you and see a weapon, they will approach you as if your going to use it, ie they will draw down on you.

as far as i can see its just another big brother attempt that the government will pass though as law under the guise of protecting freedom...
this is part of the governments mandate to undermine the rights of the common citizen, to control them with dept and treat them as fodder... in America your only free if your in the 1% every 1 else is just a prop for their freedoms. the founding fathers would be turning in there graves...

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
God forbid I carry a right angle in my school backpack. Its L shaped and the same size in two dimensions as a pistol. Imagine the shock of all the students getting harassed and / or shot because of carrying simple homework tools in their backpacks.

Yeah this is definitely tech we need. I can understand installing this in a courthouse, but in a police car? Everyone knows the mayor is on crack, but now it appears that the police are too.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Old news. I read this literally 7 days ago. And we all know it's unconstitutional and will be struck down without mercy my the SCOTUS. Hopefully, one day NY's draconian laws regarding firearms will too. Too many good lives ruined who go their as tourists without realizing that an entire state refuses to acknowledge our Second Amendment Right.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I like the idea, which is (or I would hope it would be) to save lives by possibly preventing a crime against Innocents civilians.

Sadly, I also understand why most people are outrage by this news, the possibilities of this technology been misused by crook police, far outweighs the good that it could do if only used as intended.

Because we know that there is a better chance that it won't be used as intended.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]RockNRollz[/nom]It isn't like they will be scanning everyone they see! This tool was created (From research) to see if the suspect that the police are watching are armed. In my opinion, this is a nice innovation to help protect the policemen of the U.S.[/citation]

lets say you are patroling a bad neighborhood, i can see this being a great tool there
lets say you have reason to arrest someone and want more info first. great tool there too

everyone knows it will be abused, but if that above image is a reall one and not a doctored up one, i'm ok with that.

im also VERY OK with having my balls nuked to the point i cant reproduce... would save me money on a vasectomy.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
People who carry concealed weapons are out to find trouble anyway I don't understand why everyone here is making such a big fuss about it

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I'm happy i don't live in the "free" USA where most of the the common citizens are treated like criminals and the freedom is rapidly shrinking while the police state is steadily become a reality.

Whats next ? Random anal probing next by a champion in curling with underarms the size of a normal persons legs? It can be housing drugs or explosives after all!

Nyhil116

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Some of the comments on here are amazingly ignorant or just out right stupid. The scans the equipment can perform do NOT have the resolution (look up that word if you don't know it) or the clarity to see people naked.. that statement, for those who made it, is incredibly ignorant..

I will agree that some officers abuse their rights as a peace enforcer.. some have blatant disregard for the laws they have sworn to uphold.. but many of them are truly there to protect the innocent from the reckless and stupid.

I applaud those who use their 'power' to better the general populace, and I don't judge them based on the few who f#$% it up for the rest... because that is stereotyping, and I am sure most people do not need the definition of what that is, or what it's related to (racism).

If you have a legit concern with this.. then by all means voice it.. but if you are complaining about health concerns, you best look at the 100,000 RF signals our bodies ingest daily due to modern technology.. LOOK IT UP! If you are 'concerned' about your 'rights', then maybe you should consider general safety.. or possibly look at some of the bills congress is passing.

This technology is there to protect those who protect the innocent, the only people who would ignorantly attack it is the people who feel threatened by it... get informed people.. get mad about relevant stuff like SOPA or the Protect IP act.. or the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012.. seriously..... you need to think about a bigger picture...

Status
Not open for further replies.