NYT Sources Say Facebook Phone Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

gekigami

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Ugh, go away Facebook.
The only reason they want their own browser is to get everyone's data on what they are searching, and clearly, the only possible reason they could have for going into the mobile phone industry is to sneak on people's calls and texts.

Can't wait for FB to fall even further in the stock market and everyone to finally realise it's not quite the company they thought it was.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Is this going to be "just another smartphone".

I am hoping that Facebook can somehow eliminate all the barriers to global communications that our current "greedy" wireless companies control. I know that most people on here think Facebook is for morons and such, but give credit where credit is due. Facebook and re-united many folks that would have otherwise not have been without trying to charge them (unlike classmates and such). Now if they can pull this experience off in a real-time communication device without nickel and diming you to death, then they may have something.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
lol, a Facebook phone.... something like this might actually end the hype about smart phones and turn them into something boring and just a "given". Now that Facebook is officially uncool, launching a phone will be their jumping the shark moment. Quit while you are ahead Zucker, go retire in the trpics somewhere.... seriously, that's exactly what I would do in his shoes.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]Is this going to be "just another smartphone".I am hoping that Facebook can somehow eliminate all the barriers to global communications that our current "greedy" wireless companies control. I know that most people on here think Facebook is for morons and such, but give credit where credit is due. Facebook and re-united many folks that would have otherwise not have been without trying to charge them (unlike classmates and such). Now if they can pull this experience off in a real-time communication device without nickel and diming you to death, then they may have something.[/citation]

True, they did "reunite".... but now that we're bored and don't care what old friends from high school are now doing it's time to move on. The Facebook UI was always horrible, it was horrible to develop for and I feel like my privacy is being raped every time I log on there.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Before i liked FB because people actually do the posting, like writing on your wall and uploading videos and pictures. Now most of the posts are from apps, autopost junk. When you try to open a pic or video, an app will ask to be able to get your basic info and autopost on your behalf. Hell, no way. So i don't really care much for FB anymore.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Uh - I got bad new for Zuckerberg... Facebook IS an APP.

Contracting to get HTC to make a smartphone that runs Windows Metro and calling it a Facebook Phone doesn't change the fact that the "Facebook" part of the phone is still just an APP.

Facebook would have to put it's OWN OS and it's OWN browser on it to legitimately call it a Facebook Phone.

Otherwise, nobody will tell the difference between it and any Android or iOS or Windows or RIM Phone running the Facebook APP anyway.

capt_taco

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Why do we need this again - so people can be even better at sitting on their asses?

Anyway, Facebook reached its peak a long time ago. Knowing that your semi-friend from 5 years ago went hiking, or some chick you barely know likes The Avengers, is only interesting for so long.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I'm sorry facebook people are i.diots why would you ever put all your personal information anywhere on the net so willingly, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.