Obama Admin Wants to Allow Web Wiretapping

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Seriously people! Did you read the part where it says "If served with a legal wiretapping order"... This is NO different then what they can do today with a "search warrant". Dont confuse this with the Bush administrations ok to record and monitor every single cell call made in the USA without any kind or warrant". I have no problem with this, this does not violate any personal freedoms.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]"ok, lets see what this guy is doing. click that link....OH GOD ALT+F4!!!"also, they need a legal wiretapping order, you have to be a suspect of a crime. people just need to stop exploding things way bigger than it needs to be.[/citation]

I am not sure why you got down rated because you partially right (Internet/mob mentality probably).

What I find funny is that you guys think things would have been different if you don't support Obama. Spying/"Protecting" on citizens is the one issue both parties have a consensus on.

[citation][nom]kikireeki[/nom]Welcome to the Third World![/citation]
How does this make us Third World?

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]tleavit[/nom]Seriously people! Did you read the part where it says "If served with a legal wiretapping order"... This is NO different then what they can do today with a "search warrant". Dont confuse this with the Bush administrations ok to record and monitor every single cell call made in the USA without any kind or warrant". I have no problem with this, this does not violate any personal freedoms.[/citation]

What? People actually read instead of knee jerk reactions? Perish the thought....

In all serious, my problem lies with the back door they will create. This will actually create a vulnerability. I do have some piracy concerns, but when the FINAL Bill is presented, we should know how far/if it will affect things.

greatcto

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
They already wiretap the internet and silent install screen capture tools and mouse controls on peoples PC's using Microsoft updates TrustedInstaller.exe as well as digitally signed false adobe flash updates.

What they are asking for is a law that will make their work legally admissible without tipping the unethical/illegal invasion of privacy they often make. Your PC is supposed to belong to you, until they have a warrant. But that is not what they are doing.

When it comes to tapping conversations, they already have technology that can image the throat and its shaping to produce words based on a recorded history of you speaking. They've also made all "Eraser" programs whether free or payed for encrypt and hide, protecting from being written over, instead of being erased. Use Eraser on a few files in a clean partition. The use an undelete program. You will find a fully recoverable file of the exact amount of space you just erased, except now protected from being overwritten as a hidden file. I've used pay secure wipes and found the same thing.

When you have a lot of large files and manually add up how much space they are using then look at what windows says is being used by the partition you'll find a big difference. If you are using a secure wipe program such as from Acronis using an undelete program will reveal a fully recoverable section equal to what you have deleted, making up the total of what windows is showing as used on the drive.

The government is able to run a virtual host/proxy of some popular websites like PlentyofFish and Gmail. Totally controlling content on the screen and that is sent back and forth to a persons pc. The science of it all is pretty interesting. They also have technology to control and select commercials based on wording to the effect insinuating a line of thought to the people, or a response to what they are thinking or saying, they are supposed to only be monitoring. It's funny like the theme to the twilight zone. We control the vertical and horizontal of what you are seeing, able to manipulate scheduled programming and select the commercials in between on the fly.

Just don't know how specific this control extends. Due to the digital transition in cable TV, do TV's now have something akin to MAC id's so they can be identified and streamed to just one viewer. Or is it broader where it goes to a whole neighbor or a broadcasting area. Most people wouldn't notice cause the selection of commercials is targeted to the behavioral response of someone else? They alluded to this problem in Minority Report. Some people who are sensitive or intelligent committing suicide because they inadvertently are receptive/sensitive to the message being sent out. Not understanding what's going on they still experience an emotional state leading to mood changes and possible suicide based on the subtext. Though the government rarely does that, they mostly use the tv control to segue people into discussing topics they wish to hear discussed. If they can't get anything productive then they become more aggressive or obvious to warrant a response.

Doubt me if you like. But if you have "Eraser" already test what I'm saying. You'll find the program does the opposite of what you thought, tricking you with long waits and saving the content in a file that is protected from being overwritten by the journaling virtual ram write system on you drive for those in the know to access.

'The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve either.'

G

Communism is on the rise in our country. I don't care what party is in power, who the president is, nor do I care what color his skin is.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Just because they work for the wank*r house does not mean they own the internet or can oppress 7 billion people.

Next news would be "gas chambers build outside Washington DC" or "get your free 5 min shower" in our custom gas chambers. to help the poor get with it.
Approved by Obama as part of the stimulus plan to stimulate you to another plane of existence. LMAO

Why can't he just put on his white hood and bed sheet and get it over with, not the one he uses to make his wife happy at night with the cream of a man on it.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I'm surprised that nobody, including the article, has explicitly discussed our Fourth Amendment Right against Unreasonable Search & Seizure. If this proposed bill is akin to wiretapping, then it only can be applied after a warrant is obtained (except for Patriot Act B.S.), which is equivalent to all other privacy rights. In the event that a warrant is endorsed by a judge after sufficient cause is presented, I have no problem with this and see it within the purpose of the Bill of Rights and a reasonable extent of governmental powers.

However, if a warrant is not required to search my Internet/telecommincations, then this is some B.S. and we need a large scale protest. If that is the case, then Obama has just lost 80% of my respect.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
This is a tough one. On the one hand we all want privacy, but on the other without decent monitoring or criminal intent another 9/11 class event could occur. I would love to see middle ground on this issue, but its definitely not apparent.

ivanlucrazy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
I'm just wondering,wouldn't that just make people migrate to services run in different countries that aren't forced to do this? I mean this is the internet, you really cannot effectively monitor the internet.

On a side note, is the infrastructure there to monitor and record everything? I know this is talking about wiretapping with a warrant, but say the gov't wanted to record all cellphone calls and US Citizen internet usage....

I can imagine they would need massive, and I mean massive data centers, as well as the people to monitor it all. Even if there was a "red flag" computer based system of a sort that would automatically flag the person monitoring when some person somewhere says the word "Bomb" or types a certain keyword in an email, it would still require a massive workforce. To me it seems a bit unpractical, as well as not possible with where we stand today.

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Gotta love these liberals prattling on about invasion of personal space as if it were some form of psychological trauma.

Why don't we just suspend ALL forms of surveillance and then see how fast national security goes down the toilet.

The problem with today's bleeding-heart liberal society is that there is no sense of responsibility. People have grown up vegetating in front of their PC screens and expect flawless security from the State minus the sacrifices that go with.

G

Obama needs to stop thinking he owns the dam Internet.
Obama is soo dumb at times.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Google saves every search you make on the internet, tracker programs log every key stroke and catalogs every product you look at online and caters ads to your taste personally.... yet the government wants to track online terrorist suspects that are dead set on killing every single American and you have a problem with this? go figure.

Bungwa

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
You'll find the program does the opposite of what you thought, tricking you with long waits and saving the content in a file that is protected from being overwritten by the journaling virtual ram write system on you drive for those in the know to access.

one word: Thermite, Most varieties are not explosive, but can create short bursts of extremely high temperatures focused on a very small area for a short period of time.

You just might not want to occupy the space under your harddrive with any thing of value.:)

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
so much for making government smaller. go chairman Maobama. see if you can take all our privacy and strip us of all our civil liberties before you get out of office.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
The thing is that over the internet people can communicate using applications that encrypt data between the two computers with no one knowing the key except the two terminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.