Obama's Plans for Mobile Broadband for Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Sound great and all but i'm more concern about net neutrality. No point of having fast connection if you have trotting everywhere.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I'm glad President Obama recognized that our education system is largely failing, but I wish he hadn't emphasized the math and science so much. How many times did he repeat the "math and science" line? Too many for me. I know they're important, but the educational system has been failing on history and English for a long time as well. We need writers just as much as IT pros.

ansar

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Bah, that statement is too vague. Don't we already have 3G coverage hitting 98% of the U.S. population?

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Barrack Obama "What must a president do to secure a second term?"
Michelle Obama, "Instead ask yourself, what would Carl Marx do?"

Joe Biden "1000 memebers of the Rebublican empire will descend upon you!"

Barrack Obama "We will stand, and give it all away!"

Glen Beck "America, tonight we dine, In the soup kitchen (with free wifi)!"

I am sorry for that, I just had to. For the record I am an independant (not the party, i just make up my own mind myself).

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Paying for this is easy:
Just offer lifetime, nation wide, free, wireless access for a onetime advance donation of $200.00.

bayouboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Bolbi[/nom]I'm glad President Obama recognized that our education system is largely failing, but I wish he hadn't emphasized the math and science so much. How many times did he repeat the "math and science" line? Too many for me. I know they're important, but the educational system has been failing on history and English for a long time as well. We need writers just as much as IT pros.[/citation]

In general the education system as a whole is failing. This mostly has to do with holding students that excel back and students who fail pushing them forward when they should be held back. While History and English could be improved upon, that isn't the major problem in US schools.

The US is now embarrassingly far behind in Math and Sciences. These are easily the most important part of education today.

In 2006, in the US, less than 12% of bachelor graduates are engineers. Compare this to the rest of the world. Germany, Sweden, and Finland are over 25%. Korea is over 37% engineer graduates. Japan over 24%.

By comparison, in the US, over 25% of graduates are that of the Social Sciences! Over 16% PSYCHOLOGY!!!

No sir, you are wrong. I would say that if anything, we focus too much on Social Sciences in K-12. We do not focus on the Math and Sciences enough, this is what is hurting the US. This is why we are no longer the innovators in the world. This is why we produce less scientific papers.

Math and Science SHOULD be his focus, not History and English.

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Education> National Debt > Healthcare > Infrastructure

but in reality everyone knows we cant get anything passed with a two party system. So everything Presidents say is pretty much a pipe-dream.

Burritoclock

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I liked this idea the first time he said it and we gave a TRILLION DOLLARS for it and infrastructure, that worked SO WELL we are gonna double down on it! Jesus Jumping...mumble mumble...

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Free (paid for by tax dollars) Internet access is great and all... but I plan free hookers and blow for everyone across the nation! Now... the only problem is... how to pay for it.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Speaking as an individual who found math and science in public schools far too easy, I never learned real English until I got to an "educational opportunity center." In grammar school, I was taught "use a comma everywhere you want to pause."

All education is a joke, IMHO, but then how do you handle the needs of the individual? It would be great if someone came up with an educational system that worked.

Then again, the education system is, IMHO, a symptom of a far larger problem.

Back on topic, I support "internet access in every pot."

G

[citation][nom]illo[/nom]Education> National Debt > Healthcare > Infrastructure but in reality everyone knows we cant get anything passed with a two party system. So everything Presidents say is pretty much a pipe-dream.[/citation]

At this point, I think our national debt is more important than the education. Unless, of course, you like being indebted to China.

oboelcke

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
[citation][nom]illo[/nom]Education> National Debt > Healthcare > Infrastructure but in reality everyone knows we cant get anything passed with a two party system. So everything Presidents say is pretty much a pipe-dream.[/citation]

Can you show a linear graph or data set of somesort that correlates education expenditures and increased proficiency in learning or test scores?

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS