Occasional audio static through headphones

rifty

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Recently my headphones have been getting some audio static that varies from very light to heavy static thats lasts for a second or two, unplugging the audio jack and plugging it back in hasnt fixed it. Its an asus laptop with conexant smart audio.

Solution
I too had a similar issue (constant static noise with external speakers or headphones). What I eventually did to fix it is removed the Wi-Fi stick and put it on the other side of the laptop (the jack is next to 2 USB ports, apparently I can't use them and use some external playback device at the same time). This fixed it immediately. Try to fiddle around with your cables, peripherals, unplug them, move them around etc.

I too have an Asus ROG series.

Hope it helps.

Lutfij

Splendid
Its an asus laptop with conexant smart audio.
We'll need more info. Can you please pass on the model number for your laptop as well as the OS you're working with? Have you made sure your laptop BIOS is up to date? On another note, we're also going to need to know the make and model of your headset.

Have you noticed if the static is picked up when you're on battery backup? Does it happen when your laptop is plugged into the wall socket?

rifty

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Sorry, it's a ASUS ROG GL552VW running windows 10. and i have updated the bios recently. the headset is a Turtle beach 50x recon(not the best thing in the world but i havent had issues with it up till now) and it happens both while plugged in and on battery

Justitiae

Prominent
May 18, 2017
I too had a similar issue (constant static noise with external speakers or headphones). What I eventually did to fix it is removed the Wi-Fi stick and put it on the other side of the laptop (the jack is next to 2 USB ports, apparently I can't use them and use some external playback device at the same time). This fixed it immediately. Try to fiddle around with your cables, peripherals, unplug them, move them around etc.

I too have an Asus ROG series.

Hope it helps.

Solution